rumors of black panthers in ky

You guys giggle, but rather than a second cousins grampa offering up the prrof, my pard swore he saw it on the Discovery channel, so it has to be true....he saw it on the TV! Run a search ini google or whatever, and you'll be surprised at the number of hits, Ihad never heard of this particular myth, but like so many others....it's out there:)

It ain't a myth. Would I poke fun or giggle about something so important as this?

Buker,
I feed the geese first, so local Warden don't seem to mind. The Canada geese are easier to catch than are the snow's.
I am actually doing the geese a favor anyway. All of those humming birds stuck in their necks has got to smart a little.

Yup, and I found some poop too. I was gonna put it on Ebay but if you would like to buy it, I'll skip the hassle and sell it directly to you at a discount.

By the way, what was this thread about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I seen a tame goose eat a baby bird. I was coon hunting with some people one night and we heard a sound that sounded like the Mt. Lion on the move WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. I live in Western Kentucky and talked to 3 or 4 diffent people who said they seen a black cat around here. All in the same area and one of them was a farmer and a buddy of mine that had the land lease. Same place I heard the MT. Lion growl. Also back before the reintroduction of Elk in Kentucky there was one run over in Madisonville Kentucky. I wouldn't say there are no black cats here, I have never seen one. But we can now kill 3 bobcats a year and I have not seen many of then either. We can trap otter in Kentucky and I have never seen those either. I heard they have a black cat in Florida and they are migrating. WHo really knows . We now have bear here to. I seen some cat traks in the snow one year while hunting yotes and they where bigger that any bobcat track. THE FACT IS THAT NOT EVERYBODY IS GOING TO BELIEVE THEY ARE HERE BUT WHO REALLY KNOWS. Like I said I had alot of people in a hunting club seeing bobcats before you could ever hunt them here and it was at least 5 or 6 years after that before I ever seen one.

Joshua S.,

Do you want in on some of that big foot poop too before I put it on Ebay? If I get too many people who want some, I know where I can get more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you guys there in Kentucky can produce evidence of one of those black cats and can do it right, you will become very wealthy. Probably more wealthy than I'm doing with my bigfoot poop.

Randy, I lost your address. Update me before you do the Ebay thing.
lento-bigfoot.jpg

Fourty five years ago, right after wife and I got married, we took a family road trip way down in kentucky. My new bride's parents went along, probably because they didn't trust me very much. We rented a couple of cabins which overlooked a park that looked a whole bunch like a golf course. Anyway's, I got up one morning and as I looked out across the park, I happen to see this big black panther sneaking up on my Mother-in-Law. Being somewhat excited, I grabbed a couple of iron kettles and headed for the cabin door. I quickly opened the door and was about to bang the kettles together and make a bunch of noise, but then I decided to stay out of that situation. I figured that I really didn't care that much about what was about to happen to that danged old Panther anyway.

I have a question? Couldn' t it be cougar that people are seeing and they just have a dark color to them, therefore they say Black Panther?

There was one killed on 850 just accross the hill form Mag Co. In 97. Read below.

Body or body part:
13. KY kitten. In June, 1997, a man driving a pickup truck hit and killed an eight pound spotted female cougar kitten on Highway 850 in western Floyd County, KY. He said he also noticed a larger and a smaller shape, most likely the kitten's mother and sibling, because the kitten was still too young to be out on her own. The driver took the body to the Kentucky Department of Game & Fish, which froze it. When the kitten was analyzed, she was found to have all her claws intact, with no tattoos, tags, collars or other indication of captivity. DNA analysis indicated that the kitten's maternal ancestry included genes from South America, pointing to the pet trade (South American cougars are popular in the cougar pet trade), but paternal ancestry was shown to be North American.

This kitten is important for several reasons: she was a highway fatality, and biologists claim that if cougars were present in any numbers some would get hit by cars; she indicates that reproduction is going on in the wild; and she exemplifies the mixing of cougars from various origins that is probably occurring in the eastern woods. An April 20, 2001 letter from Steve Thomas, Wildlife biologist, KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources to Chris Bolgiano, ECF vp, confirms the above information

Last edited:
Ya last year they had to kill a cougar in residential Sioux City Iowa, thats like 60 miles from where I live. You probably heard of that Rich.

Shake N Bake

Considering the big cats are nocturnal and do have various color phases running from tan to a dark grey it is likley what they have seen is a cougar. If you check on any of them, most of these tales start just about sundown.When the light is right even a coyote can look solid black as the sun is going down.

And if any body wants to call a dozen members of a certain family in Carlisle county liars , I want to sell tickets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif They have seen a couple of cougars in their fields and tracks in the field roads on a regular basis for a couple of years now. I figure somebody in Memphis got a little tired of feeding his kitties and found a nice cozy little game preserve to dump them. Such a preserve is nearby. One of the women says she saw a female carrying a cub when she took the men their dinner one day. I have hunted some of this area myself. Fairly remote for bottomland and close to the river so to speak. It would be a good place for these animals to make it for quite a while.

Fact is we have a lot of fools out there that think they can handle a wild animal this size and temperament in their homes. What do they do with them when the feed bill gets to high or they become the scratching post. These bunny huggers aren't going to do the right thing and put the animals down. I doubt most of them even have the propper permits to own the things anyway. This stupidity is what is going to bring the eastern cougar back. Jimmie

I agree with Jimmy on this one. 3 workers and 4 patrons in one of the local beauty salons all swore they saw the same thing just accross the highway in front of the shop. A cougar attempting to cross the busy highway with something in its mouth that appeared to be a rabbit. It changed direction and "slinked" back into the brush and dissapeared. Now, did all these people suffer from the same hallucination? Possibly, but I believed them after questioning them some. I believe someone has lost or let loose an exotic pet that has learned to hunt on its own. Heck, I hope they do make a comeback in Ky. It would be great to see one in the wild. Be even better to call one in some day. Hey! Back in the seventies no one thought the wild turkey would ever be hunted in Ky! Never say never! kyray

we got plenty oven here in these east.tenn mtns. hate to do it but im gonna give you the instructions how to make a painter' call. get a cardboard oatmeal can. make a small hole in the bottom. tie a wooden match on a good string, thread the string thru the hole, the match inside up aginst the bottom. put pine tree rosin on the string, put the can under left arm, put a little rosin on your thumb and index finger, stroke the string with your rosined up fingers, different pulls make different sounds, roars, couffs, grunts, i gurantee you call one up. oh. one more thing, there aint much differance in painter and lion calling, so be keerful.PS you might want to use a steely in your flipper instead uf a marble.

I believe them and several others story related to me over the years. I just have a question. With all the coon hunters and other hound men in Ky why hasn't anyone treed one of these big cats????

I grew up in warren cty. ohio near ft. ancient state park[sw ohio].In 1978 i was 18 yrs old,i had heard rumors of a black panther for a long time.One day the game warden and for some reason a fire truck went tearing out our road going to a call --a large cat was chasing a calf/steer.The following day on the school bus i heard the story--the girls dad ran them all in the house because this was happening.They all saw the huge cat chasing the cow!
A women i knew very well told me she saw a very very large cat drinking from her pond at the crack of dawn ,while having coffee.Again i just listened and had no real reason to doubt.
I was riding my first street bike --suzuki gt 380-- one night at about 9-9:30 and saw a set of eyes going north on 22-3 hwy[long downhill] towards wilmington,oh. where s r 380 cross's.I came up with an 18 yr old idea>>i'll turn my key off down this hill until i get to where i think the eyes are and flip the headlight back on>>better yet i flipped it to high beam.When i flipped the light on[20-25 mph] i was 50-60ft from a large cat sitting in the road on it's haunches staring at me.It was a mountain lion!! It jumped up and ran out of the road--i steered the motorcycle headlight directly on it for a good long look.>>It scared me to the point that i had trouble getting the bike in gear and going,i thought it might pull me off the bike at the time.It took up a whole lane as it ran,and it's belly slinked and shook from its weight.SO >>>>I believe!!
I never went fox calling at night again!!

About 1975 kings island amusement park[10-12 miles away] had 6-8 baboons escape and stay on the lam for several days.My grandfather took his coon dog a walk down the river and the dog started acting odd and my grandpa spotted a large baboon who was showing him his teeth.He alerted the authorities and they came out to retrieve him,the "dart gun " made a loud noise and down he came.A neighbor lady mrs.barr said -i didn't know it worked that fast-and my grandpa handed me a spent cartridge> 30-06-springfield.
A good friend shot a squirrel out of a tree at day break and it was a spider monkey.
I also saw a red wolf run across the road about 100 miles from houston,tx in 1979.
I believe people see these animals but possibly get the color wrong as stated.
Oh yeah and a mountain lion was spotted and i believe photographed by a game warden in sw ohio about 4-5 years ago,eating a deer!
Bigfoot poop huh>> wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Mike

Hound men are pretty hard on thier dogs about running trash. And pups are never believed unless an old dog chimes in on tree. There have been many occassions where the dogs disapeared overnight only to be found laying on the hunters coat the next day worn out and asleep.

A big walker or bluetick hound can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. And in some of these places where we suspect there being cats, they could get way out where you could never get within hearing distance of the dogs if they did tree.

Jimmie

A friend of mine married a girl from Kentucky and they use to give him a hard time for being kind of urban. They use to talk about seeing mountain lion in the area so he thought they were just trying to scare him. To bolster his manly image, he told them he would not only kill a mountain lion, he would do it bare handed. They took him out to the area they had seen some and let him out. He thought it was funny until one got after him. He ran all the way back to the cabin but the door was locked. The cat was chasing him around the cabin, him hollering the whole time. They finally opened the door, he went inside and jumped behind it. When the cat ran in behind him, he jumped back outside and shut it back. He said: "Ya'll clean that one, I'm going to find another."

hey guys yes there is black panthers in kentucky.
seen one abought 15 years ago me and a buddy of mine was hunting. my buddy shot at it it let out a sqwal that
would raise the hair on your neck. don't know if he hit it or not didn't find any blood but we went home any way.
talked to the new owner last year abought coyote hunting he said ok . but he said the panther is still there.....

Back