A couple of greys tonight

1trkyhntr

2nd stand a we had a grey charge in hard at about 3 minutes to Nutty nuthatch. Killed him and switched to Platinum Grey, no other takers.
Next stand was a little more interesting.
As we were walking in we saw eyes. My buddy knelt down, put the rifle in the sticks, and turned on the scope. He said that it was a fox. The next thing that I heard was the safety click off and then he started shooting. 7 times. Every now and then I could see eyes in the field but basically I was in the dark. The FLIR was still in my pouch. When the shooting stopped he said that there were 2 foxes. He missed them both. I decided to let things settle down for a few minutes then I set the call out, but not with a lot of confidence. I started with Platinum Grey and at about 4 minutes I saw a target at the wood line. My buddy turned on the scope and said that it was a fox. He pulled the trigger and he said that he hit it. We could hear squalling from where the fox was so we walked over to it. It had crawled under a brush pile and was looking at us. The mate was down in the woods barking.
Now here is where I made my mistake. I have the dual light Night Eyes head light, with the white beam. And I have the .22 pistol. That combination pretty much made the decision that I was going to be the one that had to crawl through the brush pile and get the fox. Lesson learned for me. So, I fight my way into the brush pile, shoot the fox, and drag it out into the field.
My buddy looks down at the fox and says "it's still alive". I shoot it again. In the head. It's still alive. I shoot it again.
8 .223 Hornady Vmax bullets and 3 .22 CCI 40 Gr's and this fox was finally dead. You can't make this stuff up. It was a good night.

Last edited:
that place must be plumb full of grey fox, have not hunted them here since the late 70's when fur prices were good, but seldom see one. saw my last one about 3 years ago.

thumbup.gif

Back