Thumb hole stock. Good or bad?

NDAR15MAN

I have a savage axis 223. Cheap one with no adjustable trigger but it shoots 7/8 groups with factory black hills 52 gr hp ammo. It has the original plastic stock. I have the youth model stock because when I am hunting cold weather with lots of clothes on fits a little better. Question..... Thinking about putting a Boyds wood thumb hole stock on it. You guys that have thumbs holes stocks Do you like them ? Was it worth making change ? Maybe just keep my $110.00 with shipping and buy a different toy? Thanks martyd

Last edited:
I shoot right hand guns although I am lefthanded but can still shoot them righthanded if I need to. You will lose that option with a thumbhole. Other than that I don't see any problem.

I like them, but I have a medical issue that prevents me from gripping a rifle stock (fused right wrist) properly. My absolute favorite is a pistol grip stock, but they are not always available. Sure wish I could find one for my Savage A17. I don't think it would make that much difference to someone trying to shoot it opposite of the thumbhole, if they are already willing to accept the bolt on the wrong side or empty shells hitting them in the face.

If it's your hunting rig it will add substantial weight to it, won't it? Thumbholes are generally used for bench shooting.

My Savage 17hmr has one and when I bought it, I really thought I was going to like it but that wasn't the case and I doubt I'll ever have one again as they just aren't for me.

I see your guys point on a hunting rifle. Thumb hole might not be best option for a field , calling , stalking gun. Martyd

Thumb holes work great for hunting. You are more accurate and with sticks they are great. I have them on 22-250 300 weatherby and 270 and I feel very confident with all the guns.
boyds makes good stocks , you would be very happy with the purchase. Yes you could save the money for another but I bet you would still wonder , should Have I tried it. Your accuracy will not fall off.

Originally Posted By: JPH sand hills Thumb holes work great for hunting. You are more accurate...

Explain...

I hunt groundhogs with my creedmoor, has a manners t5a stock weighs about 11 pounds but I love it, getting ready to build a 243 and will probably get another thumbhole for it as well, with the heavy weight the thumbhole works great to carry, so I imagine with a lighter gun would work even better, but its all about preference and comfort

I prefer thumbhole stocks on my hunting and long range rigs. I don't see how they have a disadvantage if you're used to them. Other than my coyote rigs (which are AR's) thumbholes are what I prefer!!!!

I have normal sized hands, but found the Boyd's TH to be a
little too much reach for the trigger finger to mate with the
trigger properly. Could have filed and sanded on the forward
part of the hole, but would have had to totally refinish the
stock to look like it should. I replaced it with a ProVarmint
stock and never looked back....the PV stock is perfect for me.
Had to go "custom" to get just what I wanted, but it was worth
it.

Have had multiple manners t5a's and they are a great choice. A little more expensive than a boyds but I really liked the thumbhole. Could either keep my thumb off to the outside of the pistol grip/thumbhole if shooting from a stable spot, i.e. bench or prone but could wrap thumb in if I needed more stability if making a quick shot off sticks, fence, tree limb etc. Good versatility and they hunt fine.

Back