Swapping Stocks - AR10 and AR!%

gundog870

Ive got a DPMS LR308 with the cheap collapsible stock on it.

I also have a DPMS Lo pro AR15 with an A2 stock on it.

My question is, I think I can swap them as I know they will fit, and was just going to swap out the buffer springs, but the way it looks to me is that the buffer springs are different lengths.

Am I right in assuming that one spring is carbine length and the other is rifle length??

Last edited:
To make your swap you will need new buffers and springs for both rifles as those parts aren't interchangeable between the 308 and ar15.

Maybe it goes without saying, but you'll need to swap receiver extensions as well - a rifle stock won't go on a carbine rifle tube, a carbine stock won't go onto a rifle tube.

Changing the tubes also means you'll need to transplant the receiver end plate and castle nut.

And of course, the buffer and spring.

The 308 AR uses either a carbine length RE with a carbine length spring and a special, shortened buffer, or an A5 length RE with a carbine sized buffer. A rifle spring is normally used with the A5 RE, but with the shorter buffer, the spring coils might make contact with each other under full compression.

I'm not certain what combination of parts you'll need to run a rifle RE on the 308 AR, but it will probably involve the use of a spacer with the carbine spring and RE

Back