Thermal Sighting Devices

tkg

Is there an "entry level device" for Thermal Scopes? I have no erperience with these. What would you recommend for a first time user on a rifle mounted unit for under $2000.00? Rifle will be an ar-15. Thanks

Originally Posted By: tkgIs there an "entry level device" for Thermal Scopes? I have no erperience with these. What would you recommend for a first time user on a rifle mounted unit for under $2000.00? Rifle will be an ar-15. Thanks

tag.....head over to the Night Calling Forum and you will see a lot of threads there related to thermal scopes. You can also use the PM search engine at the top of the page to find what you are looking for.

You will not find a thermal scope for $2k or less as far I know. There may be some new 320 core units being released soon that are going to be in the $3500 range. That's probably about as cheap as you will find thermal. Thermal prices are related to core resolution and lens size. As those numbers go up so does the price.

EDIT.....It looks like ATN just introduced a new HD line of thermal scopes starting at $2k. I think I would wait for some feedback on these before purchasing.

http://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-hd

Last edited:
Off topic a little , but related. Do law enforcement officials have access to these units? Only reason I ask , I read a story about a 3 yr old, that wondered off from his house....and was found too late. Died of exposure. When found he was something like 1/2 a mile from the house...Makes no sense first off...but I wondered...if this type of equipment is accessible, and you could use a chopper...wouldn't you get a real good heat signature and have success finding lost individuals ??
I mean a 1/2 mile from the house? How many times could this child have been walked past and not found ?? I mean...if the fake as [beeep] Bigfoot chasers have them ( for every one in the fake show on television) couldnt law enforcement use these for a real cause ??

Our local game warden is a friend and I made a point of telling him I have a Flir PS32 for just that reason. I know if my kids were missing, I would want every resource available and he often gets called in to help with similar situations.

Our local large metro police and state patrol helicopters have Thermal capabilities, but I doubt many of the patrol guys have NVGs, let alone thermal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sandcountry
I mean a 1/2 mile from the house? How many times could this child have been walked past and not found ?? I mean...if the fake as [beeep] Bigfoot chasers have them ( for every one in the fake show on television) couldnt law enforcement use these for a real cause ??

Originally Posted By: simojoOur local game warden is a friend and I made a point of telling him I have a Flir PS32 for just that reason. I know if my kids were missing, I would want every resource available and he often gets called in to help with similar situations.

Our local large metro police and state patrol helicopters have Thermal capabilities, but I doubt many of the patrol guys have NVGs, let alone thermal.

Guys, I don't come by this forum very often, but I saw this post and had to say what a good idea that is!!
Good for both of y'all!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SandcountryOff topic a little , but related. Do law enforcement officials have access to these units? Only reason I ask , I read a story about a 3 yr old, that wondered off from his house....and was found too late. Died of exposure. When found he was something like 1/2 a mile from the house...Makes no sense first off...but I wondered...if this type of equipment is accessible, and you could use a chopper...wouldn't you get a real good heat signature and have success finding lost individuals ??
We have numerous drownings here throughout the year so myself and a friend have contacted local law enforcement and volunteered to do aerial thermal searches for drowning and boating accidents. We are meeting soon to discuss the details. He has access to a Piper Super Cub so we can fly low and slow and open the windows for thermal scanning. (thermal does not penetrate glass)

We also plan to contact our local Coast Guard Station.

Last edited:
I too have wondered how many law enforcement agencies actually have access to thermal. Still a little expensive I suppose.

DEA, Secret Service, Homeland Security, US Marshals Service, Coast Guard, US Forest Service, Game and Fish Agencies, and numerous more.

Back