Barrel break in??

PEC

Just bought a new Mossberg Predator in .223. This has probably been done to death,but what is a good way to break in the barrel? How many shots between cleaning and is it ok to use a boresnake?

Originally Posted By: PEC This has probably been done to death...

Only 3 times this week.
smile.gif

Not trying to be mean, but if you use the search function you will see a lot of posts on this...

Here

Last edited:
Just shoot it. And get a good bore guide and rod to clean it with. The whole barrel break in thing is not a real thing IMHO. Have fun and when you see an accuracy drop off clean it with the proper products. I do 100 rnds or accuracy drop

On my new rifles I clean the barrel and then go sight in the rifle. After shooting around 20 shots sighting it in and hunting I clean the barrel again.

After hunting with the rifle for 3 to 6 years and cleaning the barrel every 50 shots or so I figure the barrel is broke in.

Clean the bore and go shoot it. If you want to, shoot, clean, shoot, clean, it's your rifle. Bore Snakes get dirty quick, so dragging a dirty snake back in a bore makes little sense. Get a long Dewey rod, and a bore guide, and do it right.

I clean before the first shot, and then every round for the first 20 rounds, then every third shot for the next 30 rounds, then every fifth shot from then on in. Does it help? I doubt it ....Lol

Originally Posted By: reaper4Just shoot it. And get a good bore guide and rod to clean it with. The whole barrel break in thing is not a real thing IMHO. Have fun and when you see an accuracy drop off clean it with the proper products. I do 100 rnds or accuracy drop
+1

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: reaper4Just shoot it. And get a good bore guide and rod to clean it with. The whole barrel break in thing is not a real thing IMHO. Have fun and when you see an accuracy drop off clean it with the proper products. I do 100 rnds or accuracy drop
+1

+2

Shoot it. Break it in popping varmints with it.

Done to death buy has yield 48 views so far and 8 replies, must still be a topic of interest. Going to degrease it, sight it in and clean it, also buying a good rod and guide. Saving the snake for rimfire rifles and only if there is nothing else. Thanks to all the USEFUL replies.

Done to death?? Maybe, maybe not?? everyone has opinions, just like certain body parts. I have tried it both ways, cleaning after each shot, yada yada and not cleaning, just go shoot it. I personally can't tell a bit of difference. New or used, I take it home, clean the bore, check for loose screws, load some ammo and go shoot it. To each their own, do what YOU think is best.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog I have tried it both ways, cleaning after each shot, yada yada and not cleaning, just go shoot it. I personally can't tell a bit of difference.

Same here.
thumbup1.gif

I've also done it both ways more than once & can't say that I can tell any difference. I didn't bother on the last new one.

I do highly advise to buy quality cleaning tools. A bore guide that fits that rifle. A good, one piece coated cleaning rod / proper sized jag. Quality patches. A rifle stand isn't exactly a requirement but it makes life nicer when the job needs to be done.

Originally Posted By: ky_coyote_manI clean before the first shot, and then every round for the first 20 rounds, then every third shot for the next 30 rounds, then every fifth shot from then on in. Does it help? I doubt it ....Lol

After 2 fouling rounds to get your zero back you get 3 shots at animals or targets before you clean? There's single coyote stands I'd have to take a break in to clean my rifle. To each his own.

I do believe in a minimal break in. Clean to start, clean after every 10 rounds to bare metal until you see copper deposits minimilising, then I clean about every 30-40 rounds. And that's not from lack of accuracy. I think it's easier to spend 30 minutes cleaning instead of an hour for 100 rds.

After copper deposits reduce il give it a bare metal cleaning about every 200 rounds.

Last edited:
Almost all the custom barrel makers state excessive cleaning does more harm than good. I clean a brand new barrel, shoot it and usually don't clean again until accuracy falls off.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanAlmost all the custom barrel makers state excessive cleaning does more harm than good. I clean a brand new barrel, shoot it and usually don't clean again until accuracy falls off.

Excessive cleaning and barrel break in are two different things, in most factory rifles it probably won't make any difference but most competition shooters break in there barrel's and clean often. I was inquiring about buying a sporter barrel from a major barrel manufacturer and was told that there probably wouldn't be any accuracy difference between the select match and the match sporter barrel's. For a inexpensive factory rifle barrel break in isn't that important but with a expensive rifle I believe the barrel should be broke in. One advantage of break in is the barrel will usually clean easier.
Joe

Originally Posted By: PECDone to death buy has yield 48 views so far and 8 replies, must still be a topic of interest. Going to degrease it, sight it in and clean it, also buying a good rod and guide. Saving the snake for rimfire rifles and only if there is nothing else. Thanks to all the USEFUL replies.

Breaking in a barrel has no effect on accuracy or precision rather... What I have found is it does make your barrel clean up quicker by removing the larger burs that hold pockets of copper from jacketed rounds... I do this with custom barrels, but if I had a rifle that was only twice the cost of a custom barrel (if even that) I personally, would just shoot it.

Not a believer. I do push patches through. If I find there is a lot of crud pushing patches I'll do a minor break in. Usually do a shot then scrub and push patches.

Bore Snakes are fine for swabbing out a currently hot barrel at either a Prairie Dog town or another type of high round count shooting situation, but don't depend on one to get a bore actually "Clean" on a routine maintenance schedule....

When I was shooting some action competitions where the round count might be 40-60 rounds per stage, as fast as I could locate the targets and squeeze off the shot, I would bore snake the barrel between stages, just to cut down the debris build up in the chamber and throat, but it did little to clean the really cooked on powder and metal residue...That needs to be removed chemically and with some real elbow work...

If you want to really inspect the barrel condition, you need to acquire one of the Hawkeye Bore Scopes with the 90* eye piece...

Otherwise, you are just guessing...While they are more than some want to spend ($1250+/-), I figure that what I have invested in firearms, it's worth knowing....Shortly after I got mine, I found a potentially dangerous stress crack in the sniper barrel on my .308, so IMHO, it was a good investment..

Back