Remington primers? 6 1/2 vs 7 1/2 ?

JerryinPA

Hi all;

Maybe I'm looking at too many numbers and I'm getting something confused?

I think I see Remington 7 1/2 primers recommended for the 223 Remington cartridge.

Today at a local sports shop, they had Remington 6 1/2 primers and it said "small rifle" on the box. And, they didn't have 7 1/2 primers...

Are they the same or different, or what?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry.

17 shooter:

The link you provided has a definite print mistake RE the
61/2 Remington Small Rifle primer.

The Remington 61/2 primer is a standard small rifle primer.

The Remington 71/2 primer is also a small rifle primer with a thicker cup for high pressure small bore rounds such as the 17 Remington, etc.

The attached link has some pretty good info. on rifle primers courtesy of James Calhoun.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.html

Ok thanks BCB. I have allways shot the 7-1/2 primers in my 17, and never have tried the 6-1/2 so I just took remingtons website info and passed it on. Thanks Randy

No problem. I was surprised to see the Remington link with the misprint.

Maybe if you let them know, they'll send you a new rifle for your troubles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Take Care - BCB

Jerry:

Lots of folks use a standard SR primer in the 223 and do fine with it.

I shoot lots of small caliber (17&20 caliber stuff), so I just use 7 1/2 primers in everything. It keeps it simplier for me and I don't have to worry about loading a 17 Remington with the wrong primer.

Like anything else, work your load up with which ever primer you choose and you should be fine in a 223 Remington rifle in any configuration.

I've use nothing but 7 1/2 for long time now. Especially in a 17. When mike walker brought the 17 out he said at the time that in remingtons tests nothing worked near as well as did the 7 1/2. Coming from mike I just took that as gospel and have used them since.

Don't see too many using the rem 6 1/2 primers or any stores stocking them. I used them years ago in the 218 bee and I still use them in my Cooper 22 Hornet. CCI 400 was also used if you couldn't get rem 6 1/2. Besides the 22 hornet and 218 bee had the 221fireball,256,22k-hornet alot of small case wildcats(30 carbine pistol) also used either primer. They worked best at appr 15grs powder or less.

The 7 1/2 is the only Rem. primer to use and I highly recommend it for all small primer rounds. It has a harder cup that takes higher pressure loads.

I hate to get into a contest over things but Rem does make 6 1/2 primers for a reason. Calhoons post in varmit hunters pretty much spells out there use and just because they may not fit everyones need doesn't make then useless.
There has been for a number of years what are considered low pressure cases that don't require the hard cup of a regular SR primer. If your look at the 6 1/2 primers for a 17rem or 222 they will not work and where never intend to be used in those type calibers.

Back