General calling questions

BLKCLOUD

Do most of you let the caller run the whole time you're at a set? Mine will call for a couple of minutes and then pause and then call some more.. If I sit for 20 minutes, should I just let it do its thing or should I stop it myself for a while? Thanks

If it is on expert calls setting. Let it do it's thing. You should try different distress calls.Pause for a couple minutes, change volume up and down etc. See what works for your area and have fun.

There is no right or wrong. Some folks let it run continuous and others start and stop. No one call sequence will work every time. Try different things and let the coyotes tell you how they like it. I like some pauses for coyotes and continuous for bobcats.

When I'm on a Set and running a Sound like Female Coyote Howl or Coyote Pair I let it run it's cycle which might only go for a total of 1-2 minutes,then I hit "Mute" and quietly watch for any movement?If I run Pup Distress or Pup Screams it can run for much longer but I simply let it run for a little longer then I drop the volume down slowly then hit "Mute" so it's not running for 3-5 minutes long....same as Woodpecker or Rabbit Distress Sounds that can run for a very long time....those sounds that can run a long time I just run for whatever seems sufficient and I either Mute as the certain quiet spots or I manually lower the volume then hit Mute to stop then sound and wait a while to start a new or different sound.

Most times I start out at a low volume and go easy on the Calling,if it's Crow & Rabbit Distress I start the volumn out around 10-15 then work it up to 20-25....if I'm doing Coyote Howls or Barks and its a little windy I start out much louder in the 25-30 Range up to 35-40 if I'm out in a large open Field or if I hear Coyotes responding further away?

Some Sounds don't come off realistic if they are ran at a higher Volume,plus when using a Sound like Rabbit in Distress most injured or hurt Rabbits don't squeal or cry out for a real long time....they have little bitty lungs,in other words think about the Sound or Call Your using and use some common sense and realism when using it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderThere is no right or wrong. Some folks let it run continuous and others start and stop. No one call sequence will work every time. Try different things and let the coyotes tell you how they like it. I like some pauses for coyotes and continuous for bobcats. Perfectly said!!! Running a caller during certain sequences to long is usually (almost always) not the language of a coyote. Think about it, if you call, and get a bark, howl, yip, back, they don't continually talk back for say 10-15 minutes straight without stopping for a moment.

I have hunted with some very successful guys and some very well known guys. Some let it run the whole time but changing sounds and others have played more limited sound. All had success. And not.

So it just depends.

Glad I could be helpful.

Distress sounds I let run continuously at full blast on my Foxpro Scorpion.

I find that most Coyotes come hard as soon as you turn it on up to about the four minute mark after that up to seven minutes you might get one in and after that to the fifteen minute I'm lucky if one comes in.
This year I cut my calling back to ten minutes.

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterWhen I'm on a Set and running a Sound like Female Coyote Howl or Coyote Pair I let it run it's cycle which might only go for a total of 1-2 minutes,then I hit "Mute" and quietly watch for any movement?If I run Pup Distress or Pup Screams it can run for much longer but I simply let it run for a little longer then I drop the volume down slowly then hit "Mute" so it's not running for 3-5 minutes long....same as Woodpecker or Rabbit Distress Sounds that can run for a very long time....those sounds that can run a long time I just run for whatever seems sufficient and I either Mute as the certain quiet spots or I manually lower the volume then hit Mute to stop then sound and wait a while to start a new or different sound.

Most times I start out at a low volume and go easy on the Calling,if it's Crow & Rabbit Distress I start the volumn out around 10-15 then work it up to 20-25....if I'm doing Coyote Howls or Barks and its a little windy I start out much louder in the 25-30 Range up to 35-40 if I'm out in a large open Field or if I hear Coyotes responding further away? Well stated GTOHunter...good tips there and like you said sometimes it pays to think like the critter doing the screaming...I like to tone it down like he is on his last breath...about to die. I might add, in using a decoy, I like to let the caller run for a while, then start the decoy only for few minutes or seconds, turn off, run call again. Try to make the predator expose himself...search for the source of the sound...rather than just sit there out of range or not expose...looking at decoy. Many times this will draw him in right on top of caller, trying to find that dying critter. You just have to get a feel for it so to speak and when you do your success rate should go up.

Some Sounds don't come off realistic if they are ran at a higher Volume,plus when using a Sound like Rabbit in Distress most injured or hurt Rabbits don't squeal or cry out for a real long time....they have little bitty lungs,in other words think about the Sound or Call Your using and use some common sense and realism when using it!

For me it depends on the sound you choose to use. I typically call for 4-5 minutes and then wait for 4-5. I rarely sit for more than 15 minutes but I have a lot of ground to hunt. If you don't have a lot of spots, sit for 30 minutes.

For bobcats yes. For coyotes no generally not but sometimes. It just depends on what I'm feeling that day I guess. Depends on the sound too. If I'm using Coyote Duet or something similar I might just play a few sequences before muting it and lowering the volume and switching to something like a distress sound. I never crank that call up and blare it as loud as possible unless the wind is terrible that day and I have to hunt in it.

I used to run the Foxpro pretty much steady. Never had much success until I hunted with a guy who also had a Foxpro, we used his call and he ran the remote. He would call very sparingly with distress, and long pauses of mute. In that few days we had more success than I had in weeks prior. Since then I have adopted his stand habits and I believe I have more success because of it.

continuous vs. pauses in between sounds I switch that up often......as in sometimes one and sometimes the other. Generally for the first 20 min of a set I use no more than 3 different sounds. Then if I'm gonna stay for around 45 min which I often do especially if I've put in the time walking to the set I'll do coyote vocal of some sort followed by an extended pause, sometimes have a smoke, then start throwing the kitchen sink out there.

Coyote howls I mute after a couple howls, pup distress 1 minute or so. Most distress I play at half volume to two thirds and mute after 2-3 minutes. Many times I will play baby cott at a low volume all of the time to direct them to the caller or decoy when they come in after I play the other sounds.

Back