Where are all of these Ground Hogs?

FullMoonYoteSkin

I see on this site and anywhere people buy sub calibers and talk about them - they always talk about shooting piles upon piles of ground hogs!??!

I live in Minnesota - I literally see more fox and coyotes than ground hogs, Where in the US do you live that you can go pop 30 of those [beeep] things in a day? Just wondering
wink.gif

I live in Pa. and I never got 30 in a day even when the groundhog numbers were up, but I have shot around 12 to 15 in one evening. Today if I get 4 or 5 I'm happy. For the West Va. poster are the groundhog numbers still up in West Va. 300 groundhogs in one year is very impressive.
Joe

I usually shoot around 100 every year. Usually don't try to hard. With that I mean I don't dedicate a day to jut chuck shooting. Little here litte there and then the ones that are out when I'm driving around to places that stay out of their hole a little bit to long.

Originally Posted By: ZaneTuckerI usually shoot around 100 every year. Usually don't try to hard. With that I mean I don't dedicate a day to jut chuck shooting. Little here litte there and then the ones that are out when I'm driving around to places that stay out of their hole a little bit to long.
Hi Zane, do you think the groundhog numbers are up or down in your state, also what part of New York state do you live in.
oe

Woodchuck numbers decrease every year a little. Then I just find new fields. I'm in the lower most western corner of Ny state. I'm 30 minutes from Erie pa and about a hour from down town warren pa. Would love to have Ya up for a day of chuck plucking.

Originally Posted By: jndI live in Pa. and I never got 30 in a day even when the groundhog numbers were up, but I have shot around 12 to 15 in one evening. Today if I get 4 or 5 I'm happy. For the West Va. poster are the groundhog numbers still up in West Va. 300 groundhogs in one year is very impressive.
Joe

The numbers are still up here in WV....except on the farms that I shoot on.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: ZaneTuckerWoodchuck numbers decrease every year a little. Then I just find new fields. I'm in the lower most western corner of Ny state. I'm 30 minutes from Erie pa and about a hour from down town warren pa. Would love to have Ya up for a day of chuck plucking.
Thanks Zane, I may have to take you up on that.
Joe

Quote:The numbers are still up here in WV....except on the farms that I shoot on.
thumbup1.gif

They sure aren't up in my part of WV!!(Mid Ohio Valley) We don't see them in the fields that we hunted them in 20 years ago. The coyote population has boomed and the groundhog population has suffered!

Originally Posted By: CBHQuote:The numbers are still up here in WV....except on the farms that I shoot on.
thumbup1.gif

They sure aren't up in my part of WV!!(Mid Ohio Valley) We don't see them in the fields that we hunted them in 20 years ago. The coyote population has boomed and the groundhog population has suffered!

Same here in south western Pa.
Joe

I think the reason they are still plentiful here( Eastern Panhandle of WV ) is two fold. One is although we do have some yotes,I don't think the population of them is large enough to do damage to the ghogs.

Second is it seems like nobody except me hunts ghogs around here anymore. A good thing for me.I actually have farmers contacting me to try and help them with their pasture grizzly problems.
Years ago it seemed like everybody was hunting them.Guess the old timers are gone and the new generation is too caught up with their Iphones and stuff.

Last edited:
You know Dave, rumor has it that you enjoy shooting those ground hogs because they are so much bigger than prairie dogs and that makes it easier for you to hit one on occasion.

Any truth to this rumor?
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustYou know Dave, rumor has it that you enjoy shooting those ground hogs because they are so much bigger than prairie dogs and that makes it easier for you to hit one on occasion.

Any truth to this rumor?
tt2.gif

Yes they are much bigger and much harder to kill and in most cases and you can't walk your shots in on a groundhog like you can with a prairie dog because a groundhog usually does not hang around.
Joe

Back