..:D0wn the rabbit h0le:..

Infidel 762

Staff member
"The Sandman's coming in his train of cars,
with moonbeam windows and with wheels of stars.
So hush you little ones and have no fear,
the man in the moon, he is the engineer."

We tried to stay elevated on sand hills for a better over watch of the thickets below.. We managed to kill a few;

She is growing up fast.. I need to spend more time doing this sort of thing..

One or both of you did some good shooting. They will remember these times. It is never never never money you gave or sometimes gifts,,, But the time you spend with them. Even after being grown my children would still laugh and call to remembrance, the times we went camping or games we played and the times that I spent with them visiting and talking.
And,,,,Just yesterday it was mentioned that we need to go shooting again by my daughter who is grown.

In other words you did real good.

Last edited:
drool.gif
OFR

Oklahoma Fried Rabbit

It's finger licking good

drool.gif
drool.gif

Cottontail rabbit is some good eatin. When I was a little kid just starting to hunt with the big guys an old man used to come up from Texas to ride along and watch us shoot pheasants. Every year he wanted me to shoot a cottontail rabbit for him. He always told me "These are the best eatin things there are around here." I never got to shoot them unless he was around because nobody liked cleaning them so I had no idea they were good to eat until later in life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Man, that looks tasty.

Some of the very best wild game meat anywhere.
Around here we have it with a skillet of milk/flour gravy made on the drippings, and a pan of hot biscuits.
thumbup1.gif

The best cottontail I ever ate were from Southern New Mexico. They feed on the "mesquite" bush. This bush sprouts a "pod" like fruit(?) that looks like green beans. They mature and turn a light tan/reddish color and become very sweet. As kids we would hunt for lizards and eat our fill of the pod. Just chew them up and suck all the sweetness out of it and spit out the seeds. The rabbit meat has, too me, a sweet taste, probably from the bark of the bush.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidThe best cottontail I ever ate were from Southern New Mexico. They feed on the "mesquite" bush. This bush sprouts a "pod" like fruit(?) that looks like green beans. They mature and turn a light tan/reddish color and become very sweet. As kids we would hunt for lizards and eat our fill of the pod. Just chew them up and suck all the sweetness out of it and spit out the seeds. The rabbit meat has, too me, a sweet taste, probably from the bark of the bush.

And there are just tons of cottontails down here this year. The kids and I are chompin' at the bit for cooler weather to get serious about some rabbit hunting.

Back