Beaver pelt

Patt

need help I have a beaver pelt I would like to get tanned. I already skinned and fleshed it. I case skinned it I have it in freezer with skin out. how long do I need to salt for drying also should fur be in or out when I salt. Also where can I send to get tanned all I want is to hang on wall. Thanks Gary

If it is stretched and dried you will have more options. Maybe a trapper in your area could help you out with this. Much more flexible as far as time and shipping are concerned.

If you have it fleshed you could always go to the FHA or NAFA websites and get the drawing for the oval shape and just use 4D nails to nail it to a piece of plywood.

There are a few tanneries around, be sure to read reviews before you ship your fur. I use a local one, Sleepy Creek Tannery out of Wellsburg, Iowa.

I cased skinned I want to just hang on wall. just finished cleaning the fur side letting that dry then planning on turning inside out and salting later tonight or in morning. I asked a friend he said probably take a week to ten days before I can ship to a tannery after salting.

Deer hides, which are graded, salted, and then sold are dressed and tanned with the hair off.

Fur bearers which are stretched, graded, and then sold are tanned with the hair on. A Beaver to be hung on the wall will look best on a loop of willow.

Moyle Mink Tannery is a great place to get your skin tanned. Check them out and they give all details for care and shipping.

Back