My dogs 1st coyote

TNYotehntr

I've been holding off taking my dogs coyote hunting, the Mt cur was IMO to young last year so we just squirrel hunted. About a week ago I went to a friends farm (40 acre's) to try to call one up. They got their 1st scent of one when we got busted walking in to do a stand. They didn't see the coyote but when they got where his scent was Dan started squalling. (He doesn't bark on coon or squirrel trail, just on tree) They ran the coyote through the woods just under 600 yards and returned. (I wasn't sure why they quit) Well this morning I was going out to call on some public land. While walking to where I wanted to call Dan turned loose Roi even joined in (he normally doesn't tree unless the scent is really hot) I took off to see what they had tree'd. They seemed to hold something for a few min's and run again. (rough on this old fat boy) I'm not sure how far we went but they finally held still... I guess they had bayed ol wiley up against the river so he decided to cross. They had him bayed up against the bank on the other side (river is up too) I shot him with my 22 mag (only thing legal on WMA's), I guess that turned the frenzy of escape loose in him. Roi (BMC) tied into him and got cut up a little but the coyote was much worse for it. No hero shot of the coyote, I wasn't swimming lol here's a cell phone pic of Roi (BMC) and Dan on the right over the coyote in the river, pic is zoomed in and cropped, it was about a 50 yard swim for them.. (looked at a map, more like a good 110')

roi-dan_zps3teygejt.jpg

Last edited:
Dang... just figured out why Roi's DC30 collar quit working. Coyote bit it, and water leaked in... durn coyote cost me $150.

Brad, great story and pictures. I'll guarantee you the coyote got the worst end of things. Glad you got them involved.

Thanks guys! LOL Al I'll have to agree with you on that! Got the collar dried out, it's running! I'll have to buy a new battery cover for it. Already found one on ebay so I'll be back in business!

LOL yep Ryan, you kind of hinted around about it, but I didn't check until I took it apart to drain the water. I took everyone who's phone # I had and let 'em know what they did didn't I! lol They're a bit sore from the fighting... sure hope they learned a lesson and will stick to baying 'em instead of fighting next time. At least stay away from the end with teeth!

This "hunt" didn't go at all the way I'd hopped/planned, I want them to trail after a shot... I don't want them to run them like hounds to trail a track. It was their 1st coyote and I hope we all learned something. They are the baddest azz dogs I've ever seen though!
smile.gif
(not proud at all
innocentwhistle.gif
)

Brad, from what I've seen out of the BMC's, they are so bound to get bonded with you that they get a little over anxious. They are extremely strong and real determined, so you have to make over them a bunch when they are growing. Love that breed.

Great story Brad thanks for sharing.Congrats to you and the boy's on their first coyote.Kinda makes you forget about the skunk they played with a few months back now doesn't it!

Originally Posted By: TNYotehntrDang... just figured out why Roi's DC30 collar quit working. Coyote bit it, and water leaked in... durn coyote cost me $150.
That was a good laugh for me. Top of the cake! Dang 1st coyote was not cheap, hope his coyotes after this are freebies.

Yeah thanks for the pity! lol It turned out that the board was ok on the collar after it dried out. I found a replacement cover on ebay ($16) from doubleU supply, had it in 2 days. (great folks to buy from!) Here's a pic of the cover, you can see the hole from his tooth.. (
collar_zpsjekyqvv1.jpg

Back