Tips on Raccoon Trapping??

meeko626

So I have 4 properties I can trap. 2 are in the same wooded subdevelopment, just on opposite ends. I have a deer feeder at one of them. Both are 4-5 acres. Both landowners see a lot of raccoons out at night.

My next property is about 40 acres and has a lake that morphs into a swamp. Some fields, but 90% hardwoods. 2 feeders on this one.

My last is a 5 acre property that is young hardwood with grassy areas.

Tips for effectively trapping here? I'm brand new to the sport and have been trying to read as much literature as I can.

Hey meeko/new trapper,I have not trapped any properties that have contained deer feeders but I would think that setting pretty close to them or even very close to them would be a great idea.To avoid deer and possibly dogs or cats I would go with dogproof coon traps at these properties and because I see the word subdevelopment which I associate the possibilities of pets with.I have used the original Grizz Getrz dogproof,and The Duke dogproof with great results from both.Im sure the many other dogproof traps on the market now all work great I have just not tried them all yet. Those first 2 areas I would look for coon trails and big huge den trees and set close to or on both of those.They may be using some of the same deer trails but with the DP traps you should have no problem from the deer.I'd look for den trees which are generally very old tall trees that have been hollowed out/rotted out in the center and out into big branches.Usually the biggest trees with loads off coon crap around them and with the base of the trees being very big in diamenter.Beech trees with their smooth bark are awesome,Some Maples,Huge Oaks are good,Cotton woods.If you see holes up in these trees that are like 8 to 12 inces in diameter or bigger then they are probably homes for coons.Also any barns,out buildings,abandoned houses garages etc.Set around all those features.And the dog proofs make it alot more worry free.On your spots along creeks,rivers or lakes then of course set along the water on the banks where the coon trails are.
Now the difference with the DP traps are that you need a bait that they love to eat so much that they will keep putting their paws down into the tube of the trap to keep on pulling bait out and eating until it gets caught.In any areas with the chance of dogs or cats possibly being present I would just use sweet baits and lures only and no fish.But if no chance of dogs or cats then Id still use sweet baits but also fish too in about 50 % or more of traps.There are some very good pre made sweet baits for sale such as Blackies Blend Fur King Bait as just one example.But Ive had real good luck with mini marshmallows and regualar marshmallows,peanut butter and grape or strawberry jelly,molasses makes a good lure/bait.Just about anything sweet they will eat.If no worries about dogs or cats then Ive used all kinds of frozen fish scraps thawed out,and sardines have worked great for me as well as jack mackeral.
If the ground is pretty solid with some clay down under I would use at least an 18" rerod stake.If the ground is soft/muddy I'd use a 24" rerod stake.If you are setting near water that is at least knee deep you can set up a slide wire which is a drowner.Or you can just stake there too but more than likely may need a 24 " stake.I have used a couple different cable stakes or whats called disposable stakes that have worked.The Berkshire stake has worked good.And I have the Pogo stake system in which I have used the 2" fender washers for coon trapping and they have worked great.When you stake them just make sure they cannot reach anything solid or they may pull/power themselves right out.They are very strong if they get ahold of something solid.If you cannot get a stake to drive into the ground then I have attathed the trap to a full cement block that they have not been able to pull very much at all.Or you can attatch to just about anything that is heavy.Hopefully this gives you enuff to get ya started on the right foot.You can pm me anytime with any questions.And I can reccomend alot more pre made brand name baits and lures that have worked great for me.There are also several good dvds and books i could reccomend to ya.

With coons not being worth very much money at all this year it is a great time for someone starting out to get some practice in on catching them and maybe even skinning them,fleshing,and putting them on a stretcher.I have alot more tips i could give you on catching them in foothold traps too.But for a person just starting out and with or in the areas you described I think the dogproofs are hard to beat.I could pm you alot more info on other ways of catching coons or point you in the right direction to get the info you need to shorten your learning curve.And depending on what part of Ohio you live in I may even be able to come over and help ya some in person and help ya with some contacts that would be helpful to ya.Or maybe we could meet at a convention during the summer.Ive trapped coon and other animals on and off but mostly on for the past 25 years and I really enjoy helping somebody new who is really wanting to learn.

Set some 220's in a 5 gallon bucket around feeders n you will have some quick!! I bait with tuna sArdines etc, put a large marshmellow on the trigger. Dp traps set around. Feeders n water sources work well for me as well, especially on beaver ponds in my part of the country. Im a depredation trapper n want to catch as many coons, beaver n nutria rats as fast as i can!!

Buckets are a very bad idea anywhere near the public eye. Dog proofs are almost stupid proof. Little bait in the bottom set, stake, and go.

If you use a bucket, preferably a square one, PUT A ROOF ON IT, so it overhangs the opening 10-12", then dogs won't go in.
I use 2 bolts (from inside) and wing nuts (on top) on site, so they still stack and save space.

Back