1 cup water
1/4 brown sugar
Tbs of season salt
Tbs garlic pepper
Tbs black pepper
Some cayenne if you like spicy
If you like real salty jerky you can add 1/4 cup salt
If you are doing in oven use a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke

Marinate over night. Cook at about 180 with wooden spoon in oven door.

If it's a little dry that is okay. Add a moistened paper towel to a baggy and throw some in and it will bring it back to perfect.

Have made this many times.

Blantz's recipe is bout [beeep] near dead on to mine except I dont add any water, or brown sugar, or salt (I feel it gets enough saltyness from soy and worcestershire) and when I get all the pieces laid out I like to sprinkler the tops with crushed red pepper adds a little heat to it I like.

I never measure any of my mixes or even keep records.
My pals always ask for my recipie and I say open the spice cabinet and point, some of that, some of that....hahah
Here is how I do it w/6lbs of semi frozen & sliced meat though:
1.5 cup teriyaki sauce or about 1/3 bottle or so.
Some Worchester sauce 1/2 cup or so.
Medium layer paprika, black pepper, garlic, onion, ginger, sage, red pepper, minced onion, parsley flakes, soul seasoning, thyme & mix by hand until all worked in.
Then a light layer of the same & mix in by hand.
Put in fridge 12 hrs and lay out on dehydrator for 10-12hrs.

I do the same for ground game meat also & stuff in jerky gun and lay out.
I have a cabinet full of every seasoning there is just about and each batch I just kinds mix & match from my last.

Worcestershire sauce, soy, A-1 steak sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, pinch of red pepper flake, liquid smoke and then the cure packets. No set volumes, just splash it in using the old Justin Wilson theory of until "dat looks about right"

I am sure that I missed something, but this did remind me that I need to thaw out some elk and make a batch.

No joke, this recipe makes jackrabbits taste good.

JACKRABBIT JERKY

MARINADE NEEDED FOR 5 POUNDS OF BONELESS MEAT:

2 cups Worcestershire Sauce
2 cups soy sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder or chili powder

Mix all ingredients together and put in a tight sealing container. Place meat slices in marinade and soak for 48 hours in refrigerator. Shake occasionally to evenly cover meat. Drain and place meat slices on dehydrator trays. Dry meat slices until desired texture is obtained.

NOTES:

1 gallon Ziploc bag holds 5 pounds of boneless meat.
Freeze the boneless jackrabbit meat into 1 to 2 pound bricks for at least 3 weeks before making jerky. Partially thaw and slice the semi frozen meat bricks into 1/8” thick pieces.
Do not use low sodium soy sauce.
I have used this recipe on jackrabbits, antelope, and wild buffalo with good results

SWEET JERKY

MARINADE NEEDED FOR 5 POUNDS OF BONELESS MEAT:

½ cup liquid smoke
3 cups soy sauce
½ cup brown sugar

Mix all ingredients together and put in a tight sealing container. Place meat slices in marinade and soak for 24 hours in refrigerator. Shake occasionally to evenly cover meat. Drain and place meat slices on dehydrator trays. Dry meat slices until desired texture is obtained.

NOTES:

I have used this recipe on deer and elk meat with good results.
It did not work as well with meats having a stronger gamey flavor such as jackrabbits and antelope.
Do not use low sodium soy sauce.

Back