best bullet for .222

price

i have begun reloading and im asking my experienced brothers for some help. Pelt damage is my main concern, i hunt fox, coyote and bobcat and 200 yards is most likely my maximum range... I shoot a sako riihimaki and from what ive read, its 1-14" or 1-16" twist. Heres my choices....

---Speer
-TNT
-TNT Green
-Varmint Soft Point
-Varmint Hollow Point

---Nosler
-Varmageddon
-BT Varmint

---Sierra
-Varminter
-BlitzKing

---Barnes
-Varminator HP
-Varmint Granade
-MPG

---Hornady
-V-Max
-Varmint

The best bullet to me is the one that is most accurate in a given barrel. The only way to find that out is to try them all. I don't think fur damage will be a serious problem with any bullet in the .222 Rem. For many years I shot the Hornady 50gr SPSX in my Sako with satisfactory results. This was primarily used for varmints, but was occasionally in hand when a shot at a predator was presented. The SPSX was very accurate, as I am sure the regular soft point would have been as well. A couple of years ago I tried some loads with the Hornady 40gr V-max and got even better accuracy (3/8 MOA) and much flatter trajectory. I have only shot two coyotes with this load, but was impressed with results on both. I think that 40 grains is where I would start if I were looking for new load in the .222 with a 1-14" twist barrel.

I have a great load for my 222 I recently worked up using the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade. For years I have shot the Nosler 40 gr BT. It is extremely accurate in my rifle but I have had some splashing issues with it on coyotes, thus the reason for working up a load with the Barnes bullet.

I had really good luck with the 36 gr Varmint Grenade in my 220 Swift so I thought I would try it in my 222. It is also very accurate and pretty darn fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a great load for my 222 I recently worked up using the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade. when i watch prarie dog videos of guys using this bullet, the dang things literally explode into dust. You dont think it would do the same to a red/grey?

My 222 load of choice is a minimum book charge of 4198 and a 40gr vmax. So far the only pass through has been a neck shot at 40 yards. In response to the varmint grenades blowing stuff up as long as the bullet stays together long enough to pass through skin it should blow up inside and not even exit.

40 v-max is what I moved to with my 222rem.

21.0 of IMR-4198
Hornady 40 V-MAX
CCI 400 SR primers
Frontier brass (neck sized only)
2.130" COL
3,300 fps.

The coyotes I have shot with my 220 Swift and the 36 gr VG never exited. The literally blew up inside the yotes.
Same with the 222 but I have never shot a fox with one as we don't have many fox around here any more.

Back