How About THIS For Common Sense Protecting Our Kids, Mr. President?

hm1996

Staff member
Instead of "common sense" gun legislation, NRA puts their money where their mouth is and sponsors Common sense training for those best suited to protect our children who are exposed to violence in gun free zones.

Which solution can you get behind? Another reason to support NRA.

Scanned from December 2015 issue of "American Rifleman" magazine.

Regards,
hm

After reading this when it came out i explained the offer in a letter to the editor in the local paper. The response from the county wide school boards was nothing at all.

Originally Posted By: bluealteredAfter reading this when it came out i explained the offer in a letter to the editor in the local paper. The response from the county wide school boards was nothing at all.

Keep after them.

About 8-10 years ago, our Friends of NRA Committee made it a point to support the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program with grant money each year and to promote the program in our local school district which had some 34,000 children eligible to participate in the EE program.

We offered to provide instructor lesson plans, videos, children's workbooks and other EE training aids, free of charge to the ISD and all LEO agencies in the area, but were met with a stubborn resistance from the ISD to the program simply because it was produced by the NRA. Various LEO agencies recognized the value of the program in reducing children's exposure to firearms accidents and slowly the project took root.

Finally our persistence paid off and the largest ISD in the area agreed, thanks to the influence of a new ISD police chief who recognized the benefits and appointed one officer to take charge of presenting EE to every student within the system.

Hang in there, network with persons of like mind and then it's just a matter of connecting with the right person within the hierarchy to get the ball rolling. We found that personal contact w/school officials got better results than phone calls, letters or any other means.

Regards,
hm

Thanks for printing that hm1996, yes persistence does pay off. And the school boards here are finally starting to do something to help and protect the kids and teachers here.

I guess one of the things that surprised me most about getting no response after posting that was that this county could very well be the most self sufficient hard headed county in the state, however maybe that didn't include the school boards here until lately.

If the school board doesn't want to hear it, run against them..

It's not that complicated, and it's more common sense people that can read and understand that liberals are trying to change the school. I am trying to do that in my district, doubt it will work.. But, it gets their attention and makes them feel less safe to do as they wish knowing that you are going to come after their position.

The word is getting out about FONRA grants and there is a lot more competition for the funds/grants than there was when FONRA held it's first fund raiser in our area some 21-22 years ago, but EE was one of our favorite recipients in S. Tx. and we always saw to it that there were funds in the S. Tx. EE kitty to cover free materials to any school district.

Just a thought, you might see if there is a FONRA group in your area and if there are funds available, EE might help you get your foot in the door w/the school board.

Congratulations on getting involved; don't get discouraged. Sometimes feels like pushing a wet string uphill, but that makes success all the more satisfying.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Back