Muzzleloader Question??

I just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse. I bought the CVA Optima II Stainless with the 26" barrel. The barrel is fluted and it only weighs 4 ounces more than the 24" Wolf. Sunday I'm going to go with my buddy and shoot it. I'm going to use his powder, bullets and stuff and then start deciding on what "stuff" I want to buy. As the off season gets started, I'm sure I'll be on here with many more questions. Thanks for all the info!!

I have no real experience with that one but from all that I have read about the new CVA's I think you made a great choice and should be happy with it.

Let us know how it shoots !

Nice.....I was hoping you would go that way. Let us know how she shoots! Lots of reports say they can't tell the difference in accuracy between the Optima's, and the Accura's.

Some of the muzzleloader recommendations made in this thread, for this situation, would not work for open-sight hunting in Colorado. The CVA Accura MR is not even not drilled/tapped for open sights due to the rifle being designed specifically for the use of a scope. Unlike the other CVA muzzleloaders, the Accura MR is built on an aluminum-alloy version of the Apex frame. You would have to lay your head down on the top of the stock like it was a pillow, to come close to lining-up on open sights with an Accura MR.

Barrel is a little short but I guess it's OK.....
grin.gif

What part of the state do you plan to hunt? Might bump into each other.

Originally Posted By: BUTCHER45Some of the muzzleloader recommendations made in this thread, for this situation, would not work for open-sight hunting in Colorado. The CVA Accura MR is not even not drilled/tapped for open sights due to the rifle being designed specifically for the use of a scope.

Actually this is not true ! My son in law has an Accura MR that is in fact drilled and tapped for iron sights. It is an older version that came from Midway USA and is stainless matte instead of the cerakote or nitride finishes that seem to be the norm.

Vance said:

209 yards broad side shot, complete pass thru !

All three of these were with my LHR Redemption:

300 Gr. Hornady XTP, .45 cal pistol bullet
Harvester Crush rib sabot

100 Gr. Blackhorn 209

CCI 209 M primer

Optic - Aimpoint 2 moa red dot with no magnification. [/quote

Thats the same load that I shoot in my Optima but with a black hornady sabot. It hammers our whitetails

Must have been a limited offering at the factory (I've heard of that occurring at times, like (supposedly) the stainless MR's that they originally sandblasted the old defective weatherguard coating off of, and offered the black and stainless version). The Accura MR has always been advertised as having no provisions for open sights from what I've always seen. I don't think one could buy an Accura MR set-up for open sightslike that today if they wanted one.

Even if an Accura MR is tapped for open sights......have you tried using them? From the looks of mine, ones' head would have to lay nearly horizontally on top of the buttstock in order to line them up.

Last edited:
No I have not tried it that way. My SIL put a scope on it anyway, but he wanted to find some screws to plug the holes that were left for the sights.

I think your correct about it being an older model or limited run thing, Midway was clearing them out for less than $300 so it was a good deal.

Back