6.5 SAUM 4s

Has anyone built one on a Savage action? What barrel did you use and did you go with a short or long action so you could seat the bullets longer?

What results do you have with the rifle?

Also, what does the 4s stand for?

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherHas anyone built one on a Savage action? What barrel did you use and did you go with a short or long action so you could seat the bullets longer?

I think Ritch has one. Unless I am confused on the chambering he said it is a tack driver.

4S is the designation of the reamer variation that is being used.

Greg

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherHas anyone built one on a Savage action? What barrel did you use and did you go with a short or long action so you could seat the bullets longer?

4S = super secret squirrel $h!t.... no joke...

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherHas anyone built one on a Savage action? What barrel did you use and did you go with a short or long action so you could seat the bullets longer?

4S = super secret squirrel $h!t.... no joke...

This is correct on what 4S stands for

I have one but it's not on a Savage action
I used Bartlein barrel and short action and shoot the 140 bergers

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: wisconsinteacherHas anyone built one on a Savage action? What barrel did you use and did you go with a short or long action so you could seat the bullets longer?

I think Ritch has one. Unless I am confused on the chambering he said it is a tack driver.

4S is the designation of the reamer variation that is being used.

Greg

I think his is a 6.5 wsm but ive been wrong before.
thumbup.gif
either way they would be very similar.

IIRC, and FWIW, the Savage actions factory-built for the magnum cases were built on large shank barrels and actions threaded for them.

I do have a 6.5 GAP. It is a small shank Savage barrel on a 112 long action. All though it will work on a short action. The OAL for a 140 VLD is 2.750 The barrel is 26 inches long with a 1 in 8 twist and a varmint taper, threaded 5/8x24. The barrel was made by Black Hole Weaponry. It typically shoots in the .300 and .400 always under .500 IIRC it shoots a 140 VLD right at 3200 FPS what's not to like.

So, if I go with a Savage action, I need to go non-magnum and then replace the bolt head to fit the magnum brass or can I buy a 300WM/7mmRM/338WM... and swap the barrel out?

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherSo, if I go with a Savage action, I need to go non-magnum and then replace the bolt head to fit the magnum brass or can I buy a 300WM/7mmRM/338WM... and swap the barrel out?

Either way, or a SAUM/WSM action. I think the 6.5 SAUM is short enough OAL to not need a LA.

Back