Newbie from Maryland.

C.Alls

I've been predator hunting for 3 years. I've got about a dozen foxes under my belt but no coyotes YET. I live in Western Maryland about 45 minutes from Morgantown WV. I mostly hunt back home in Virginia down around Blacksburg and also Blackstone. Anyone from around my way?

I'm about 20 miles south of Blackstone. I actually have permission on some land to hunt around there but have never made the trip.

Over here on the shore brother. Good to see new Marylanders out there. I usually make a coyote trip out to western MD in late Feb. Ibshoukd be out there the first or second week of March if you want to try for some yotes with us

Awesome. We hunt a farm on about 130 acres and it's loaded with fox and some coyotes as well but they are fairly educated so we have to be persuasive lol... My buddy and I played cat and mouse with this little fox for about an hour before he gave us a shot.

Uh HECK YEA reaper4! I have a few places to hunt but have yet to find a place that houses some coyotes. They pass through the area every now and then and we got them on camera but being there when they do has proven to be nearly impossible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reaper4I have killed a couple out that way on public land there are around just very very hard to hunt.
I'd appreciate any pointers you'd be willing to give. I have chickens and goats so I have no problem finding foxes but the coyotes don't cone on my little 6 acres.

The only advice I can give that will really help is you will have to really want it. Get a good day pack and hike into some of the public land out that way and walk far enough to get to spots that most people won't walk in to. Stands should last from 30-45 minutes and always assume when calling out there that you have one looking at you. You don't have to get too loud and keep your eyes downwind. They will try to get your wind from a good distance. I will sit my call about a hundred yards up wind out that way and still have had to take 100-150 yard shots. Many hours have gone into those hunts without a sighting. Bit when it happens for you it really will be a trophy.

I have never hunted public lands before because of the trigger happy folks I hear about but I guess considering deer season is over I should be good? I will have to look on the DNR site for some local areas to try. Thanks for the info.

Yeah bud. I always go when there's nothing else in season. It's tough hinting bit if it's all you have its worth a shot. I just knock on doors around here. That's the best way to go. We usually don't have a problem locking up a whole night and then some worth of calling area in an afternoon of asking for permission

Originally Posted By: reaper4Yeah bud. I always go when there's nothing else in season. It's tough hinting bit if it's all you have its worth a shot. I just knock on doors around here. That's the best way to go. We usually don't have a problem locking up a whole night and then some worth of calling area in an afternoon of asking for permission

I took a few hours today to drive over to the DNR office in Deer Park. They provided me with some maps and guidance on hunting all the state land. I had no idea there was so much state land to hunt AND only 15 minutes from my house. I'm going scouting tomorrow out near Swallow Falls. I'm taking the .303 Daystate Wolverine so I can stay under the radar and maybe take a few squirrels. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Garret state forest holds dogs but they are weary. First light and last light should be your golden hours. We might be out that way Sunday night or Monday evening

Went out towards Swallow Falls today and hiked a few miles in. I saw some Bobcat tracks but no coyote or fox. I noticed 2 farms on that stretch of land on my drive out. I'll probably go scout around them tomorrow.

C. Alls where are you located I live just south of grantsville off rt 495.
Also reaper if ya get up this way give me a hollor maybe we could do a meet and greet somewhere I did lock down some ground down finzel way several hundreds of acres but have only had one chance to get on it .

Scott

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scoremasterC. Alls where are you located I live just south of grantsville off rt 495.

Scott
I'm not far from you at all! I'm located about 3 miles from Wisp on Sang Run Rd in McHenry. If you want to explore some public land let me know. My hunting buddy lives in North Carolina so I mostly hunt solo up here.

There is a lot of state ground around and deer season is about the only time you'll see anyone in the woods here seems like all other game hunters gave up years ago I still hunt sq. And what ever when I get a chance lol.
I'm 15 min from the lake

I'm game. I've been out scouting and doing a little calling but have only seen foxes and some turkeys so far. I was hoping to get some vocal responses this time of year UT haven't yet.

Back