223AI & 65 SGK

Anyone run 65gn Sierra Gamekings out of a 223AI? I have a couple hundred and thought that I might give them a try. They seem to have a decent BC, and might carry the energy a little better than the light varmint bullets. Thoughts?? I have Varget, IMR 4895 and some H335 to try with them, along with F205M's and BR4's.

Forget 205 match, they are think cup, you need a thick cup primer like the BR-4, 7 1/2, CCI41, or CCI450.

Just a guess on my part, but all those powders will work along with R#15.

Let us know what you find out!!!

Have you tried any of the Nosler 64g Bonded? They are tough!!!

Im not running a AI, just a reg 223.

65gr GK, 26.8gr varget, cci 450 and LC brass at 3200fps out of a 24' barrel. Taken them out to 715yds on steel and work good for me.

according to the impacts on steel out to 490. I wouldnt have a problem shooting a coyote up to about there. After that they seem to start falling off

I haven't looked at the new IMR powders, just what I happened to have in the powder closet.

Thanks for the info Titch. I will give that a try and work up to the AI pressures.

In short, I have no results. My intention with the 8208 was to shoot 70 grain bullets but have since decided to shoot 80.5 grain bullets. I'll be using Varget for the 80.5 grainers.

Originally Posted By: OK243In short, I have no results. My intention with the 8208 was to shoot 70 grain bullets but have since decided to shoot 80.5 grain bullets. I'll be using Varget for the 80.5 grainers.

I had heard that it is a "go to" powder for some of the PRS guys shooting 75gn amax's for a trainer rifle.

Picked up this little fella from its stay with Mr. Beanland, not too long ago. 7twist at 22" Rock Creek and Deviant action. Fire forming with 8208XBR and the 80.5gn Berger/LC Brass. Guess this will do for 5x @ 100yds while forming. Should actually start to shoot accurately once the brass is fire formed, so I will have to bear this cross until then.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Kino M^^^^^ Sweetness!

I knew you would approve. I am ready to get the brass formed and see how it shoots then. Might have to swap on the bushnell xrs for a bit to see just how small of a group I can shoot. The 12x LRHS is just fine for hunting, but not the optimal choice for shooting tiny groups.

I would think you'll have no problem to get into the .2s and that's with the muffler if it's what I think it is!

It looks like it's a Remington varmint contour barrel or similar so in all reality it's "light" for a bench gun but perfect for a LR hunting/tactical rig that you can carry on long walks.

It takes weight and typically OCD brass work/loading to get into the teens and I have ZERO desire to get there and I'm betting a shooter like you would rather spend time pulling the trigger instead of at the load bench! Curious to hear your experience on how it feeds when ran hard and fast. That's the only thing holding me back on building an AI.

Cheers on a nice rig!

Back