Keeping the fur?

Shotgun Shurley

I shoot .223 vmax bullets and was thinking about keeping the fur from the fox and coons that I shoot but what determines to much damage to the fur to sell to the fur buyer? Also let's say I make a body shot on a bobcat, could the taxidermist fix the hole if I decided to get it mounted? Thanks!

Let the buyer determine if there is too much damage. Body shot on a bobcat will be just fine, even if it does make a hole, the taxidermist should be able to fix it.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Shotgun ShurleyThanks. Also when you decide to sell fur do you just skin the animal out and freeze the skin or do you have to tan it yourself? I sell bobcats whole. Alot of furbuyers prefer whole bobcats so they know they're done right. I like to finish fur (fleshed,sewed and fleshed) to get the most that I can out of them. But you can do it the way you were saying so you can save room in the freezer instead of just having a bunch of frozen coyotes and stuff.

I got ya, thanks. So if I get some coons and fox I want to take in and decide to skin them and freeze the hide, do I skin them the same way as a deer or do the buyers prefer a different method?

Ok I'm going to google that but would like some advide from someone who has done that. Is it pretty simple to do oe is it pretty tedious? Thanks for all your info OK

No problem. The head is the most tedious part and I had trouble with the tail starting out. If you get a tail stripper to help pull the bone out of the tail it'll be easier.

Really all it takes to get started is cutting around the back feet and making two cuts up the back legs to the vent. I use the line where the fur changes colors from brown to the white underside as a line to make the cuts up the back legs. Then I go about half way up the tail.

You can cut the front legs off at the elbow. Once you get the skin started on the back legs and pulled down to about the hips that's when you pop the tail bone out. I work with the knife a little to get the tail skinned about half way up. Put the tail stripper around the tail and pull the bone out with your other hand.

After you get it skinned down to where the front legs were you'll probably have to do a little knife work till you get the front legs..or nubs,pulled through so you can continue.

You'll eventually get the base of the ears. Cut them straight across,leaving the cartilage in the ears. Keep going until you get to the eyes and be careful to leave the eye lashes on. Just work slow and cut until you can see the eye lash is worked loose and keep at it until you can stick your fingers in the eye holes. You'll eventually see teeth. Cut slowly there until you have the gums worked loose. When you're at the nose just cut straight across and leave the cartilage in the nose just like you did the ears...then you're done with the skinning part.

It seems like alot of work but it's really not. If you seen it done it'd seem easier. It just depends how fresh the animal is too. If it's recently killed it's really easy. If it's frozen it's really not easy.

YouTube is your friend.....

Skin....flesh......stretch and dry.....takes up zero room in the freezer and fetches a LOT more money.....my buyer won't take em in the round or frozen.....

They should look like this......

nice cats
maybe a soft point in 55gr, or a 52gr hollow point, Nosler 55 gr worked good for me, but then I didn't use them on cats or fox, fmjbt for fox

Last edited:
Back