13 dogs in a day?

je4bowhuntin

Coyote tournaments are popping up all over oklahoma and the winning numbers on a few have been 13 coyotes. This is one day hunts from daylight to dark. I would love to hunt a day with these guys that are placing and see what tactics are being used. Thats a heck of a day.

That's the difference in land that never gets called vs. land that gets called all the time. It's night and day difference. Last weekend my brother and I were on a team during a tournament. We called some land my brother had lined up and saw 5 dogs in 2 days. Some buddies if mine had 5 on the first stand...killed one. They had an opportunity at 11 the first day. 14 total in two days of calling. They killed 4....tactics and being good don't have all that much to do with it. If the coyotes are stupid,you have lots of land and can shoot half way straight....you're gonna win.

The difference was someone had ran greyhounds on half of the land we called within the past few months. My buddies were calling thousands of acres of land that nobody even steps on a mouse on accident in. Maybe I'm just a sore loser.lol But there's alot of truth to what I'm saying too.

It takes three things to kill that many in a day. Good coyote population, coyotes that ain't been called for a long time, and someone that knows how to get'er done. It's very do-able.
A lot of guys that plan to hunt contests will simply save their honey holes until the contest, and then won't hunt the spot again until the same contest a year later.

Last edited:
I hear you on that. I would still like to see it happen in person. There was a 2 day tourney in ok that was won with 7 or 8 dogs and a bobcat. Seems like our bigger one day tourneys are won with more dogs than a 2 day

Very possible in some areas out West here. You definitely have to have the numbers and they can't have been called much as was mentioned.And you have to put them down when they come. But another thing that plays into it that kind of screws things up is having to many multiples coming in on your stands. I know that sounds crazy but when you call in 3 or 4+ Coyotes on a stand its tough to get more than one or two. I would much rather have 10 stands that produced singles than 5 stands that produced say 3 or more Coyotes coming in.

Good Hunting Chad

Originally Posted By: Utahcaller Very possible in some areas out West here. You definitely have to have the numbers and they can't have been called much as was mentioned.And you have to put them down when they come. But another thing that plays into it that kind of screws things up is having to many multiples coming in on your stands. I know that sounds crazy but when you call in 3 or 4+ Coyotes on a stand its tough to get more than one or two. I would much rather have 10 stands that produced singles than 5 stands that produced say 3 or more Coyotes coming in.

Good Hunting Chad

In addition to this they treat it like a homework assignment. They do a ton of scouting days/week before the contest, drive from stand to stand like a stock car racer, spend 10 min per stand, don't lollygag getting in/out of a set, eat/drink on the run, know exactly where/how they will set up, shoot lights out, and need a little bit of luck killing a double or two. Private property certainly makes it easier but it doesn't mean they showed up, cold called virgin territory and put 13 in the truck. Most of them spend more money in fuel than they will ever win back.

Last edited:
I hear ya. We are going to hunt as hard as we can this weekend end and see what we can do. Have some pretty good latuff set aside. It will be fun and hopefully we will hit a side pot they will be big as well

I've been hunting these contests since the early nineties. Some small local contests and some big such as the worlds, won a quite a few, placed in a few and didn't do crap in a heck of a lot. Can 13 win in basically a 12 hr hunt? "Yes", but jmho, highly unlikely if your following every rule. I've seen many teams get "busted" by cheating. Such as pooling, having dogs stashed in certain places, other people hunting already and not part of the contest. Jump hunting with 4 man teams, road hunting, shooting over dead piles and the list goes on! I'm not saying that there are cheaters in every contest, but they are out there. Having private land is a huge advantage, using decoy dogs, "huge"! If the rules allow it, then so be it. I was in a recent hunt here in NV. Was in the same hunt last year in which 5 dogs won in a straight 26 hr hunt. Figured this year right around the same would win? Usually after going to the same contests year after year you get to know your fellow hunters. This year at the last minutes before check in, a team came in with 13...2nd was 5...3rd was 4. I call BS on that!!! I wasn't their to see how the dogs were being checked such as liver temp, green belly, jaw..etc. but??? Just kinda weird how it all worked out. Yes, we have a heck of a lot of dogs out here in the SW. But also a heck of a lot of yote hunters too. I guess there is only so much you can do to make sure that all yotes shot were in that contests time period? Guess when $$$ and or weapons are the winning prizes, people will do "anything" to win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dropadoglv Having private land is a huge advantage, using decoy dogs, "huge"!

private land, yes. decoy dogs, no. at least not during the time of years most contest hunts are taking place. will hurt way more than help in fact.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Dropadoglv Having private land is a huge advantage, using decoy dogs, "huge"!

private land, yes. decoy dogs, no. at least not during the time of years most contest hunts are taking place. will hurt way more than help in fact. your probably right, I'm no houndsman, only used decoy dogs once, it was a blast! 3 yrs ago used dogs for a black bear hunt. Hunt was scheduled for 3 days...my first day hunt lasted 5 hrs from truck to when the black bear fell outta the tree. Didn't know what to do after dat!..lol

I suppose what one thing I said before isn't 100% accurate. You don't necessarily have to be "good" to call in that many is what I should have said. But tactics and the ability to make your shots count is what's most important. My buddies that called in 14 and got 4 have one thing missing more than anything,communication skills.

People getting up to call a stand quits when a coyote is on its way,telling eachother a coyote is coming in,in a normal speaking voice,nobody watching downwind and so on and so forth. That stuff doesn't fly if you're gonna do any good. Have a system down before you ever get out there. Have a certain call sequence your teammate or teammates know means it's time to move. Smooch when a coyote is coming in or something similar. Agree on the guy on the left killing the coyote on the left before a double shows up. Just little things like that can make or break a good stand. And most of all don't fight with your teammates. Misses happen and people get winded. Just pack up and move to the next one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Utahcaller But another thing that plays into it that kind of screws things up is having to many multiples coming in on your stands. I know that sounds crazy but ...I would much rather have 10 stands that produced singles than 5 stands that produced say 3 or more Coyotes coming in.

Good Hunting Chad

Pretty much agree. Except, everytime I've ever killed 10 or more in a day, there has been at least one stand with two or three killed and usually a couple stands with two or three killed. But, killing two or three on a stand, doesn't meant they all came together. For instance, in November this year I killed 11 in one day and 13 in one day with my partner. There were stands where I killed two, three and four on those days. But, they all came in one at a time. No rodeos to get out of.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI suppose what one thing I said before isn't 100% accurate. You don't necessarily have to be "good" to call in that many is what I should have said.

I'm living proof you don't have to be good, just lucky once in awhile! Sometimes, you just stumble into a good pocket and the customers are biting.

- DAA

Me too DAA....I wouldn't consider myself good. But put me where the yotes are and things can happen.

Calling them in isn't necessarily the hard part. Having coyotes that haven't been called to before is somewhat challenging but being in the right place at the right time,having a good set up to keep the wind out of their nose and last but certainly not least,the ability to hit that critter and kill it dead are where skill and tactics are needed. Calling them in is the main idea of it all. But having everything come together to get that coyote killed is the challenge of it in my opinion.

the guys that place high usually kill a high percentage of the coyotes that they call in, weather they come one at a time or multiples.
I also killed 10 one day this winter, by myself and that was by only doing 11 stands. I wasn't even pushing it, and killed 10. Contest hunters are pushing closer to 20 stands a day, if they've done their home work and laid out the stands, where to park, where to sit, with what wind, etc.
If a contest isn't taking at least some measures to prevent cheating such as temp. probing, kill blocks, written test for top placing teams, or lie detector tests, I wouldn't even enter them.
As all things in life, there are good and bad. Bad teachers, good teachers, good preachers bad preachers, good cop and bad cops. Good hunters and bad hunters. they come in all shapes and sizes and if there's money involved, seems the bad ones come out of the wood work sometimes.

I agree with songdog. Alot of bigger tournaments require any team that places to take a polygraph test. Which is good because it keeps everyone honest. Even if there's no blocking system you couldn't beat a polygraph.

Having said that I don't know of anyone that has cheated during a tournament. I heard of one tournament where 5 dogs won it,2nd place got 3 and 3rd place got 1. I think everyone at that tournament was on a pretty level playing field.

The last one I was in the people that won were from Texas and night hunted. That's illegal in Oklahoma but in my opinion it's a game changer if you can night hunt. They got 13 and 2nd place got 6 and 3rd killed 3. We should have had 5. We killed 2,missed 1,got winded by 1 and I called it quits too soon on a coyote. I called it quits at 10 minutes and should have called for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI agree with songdog. Alot of bigger tournaments require any team that places to take a polygraph test. Which is good because it keeps everyone honest. Even if there's no blocking system you couldn't beat a polygraph.

Having said that I don't know of anyone that has cheated during a tournament. I heard of one tournament where 5 dogs won it,2nd place got 3 and 3rd place got 1. I think everyone at that tournament was on a pretty level playing field.

The last one I was in the people that won were from Texas and night hunted. That's illegal in Oklahoma but in my opinion it's a game changer if you can night hunt. They got 13 and 2nd place got 6 and 3rd killed 3. We should have had 5. We killed 2,missed 1,got winded by 1 and I called it quits too soon on a coyote. I called it quits at 10 minutes and should have called for 15 minutes. agree, but if the rules say you can night hunt, they may have travelled to a location that allows it? I've hunted in contests that allows night hunting, but the contest was held in an area that does not. We just travel to a location that does. Just as New Mexico. No night hunting allowed, so time to make a drive across to another state that does. That's where doing your "homework" comes into play, and not being caught off guard! 80% of my hunting is done at night, 80% of my team mate is during the day. Makes a great combo. Just to add, I've never had to take a polygraph test...never placed that high...lol..but in the world calling competition. I believe the Top 3 must take a poly test.

Last edited:
how about not worry about what contest people do. do some searching around lately its been coming out more and more what contest hunters could be doing to win. I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.

the people that win aren't able to win when the tournament is held at a different location. are you really that great of caller if you have some special situation that allows you to have an advantage on everyone when its held at THAT location? I say NO. The true test of a predator caller is put them in an area they have never been and say find and call the coyotes. This means there is no "special areas" no private land, basically nothing that isn't reality for everyone else.

did I say I am not a fan of contests? lets not mention the extra guys out doing it that wouldn't ordinary be doing it, blasting through country with little thought to anything else but dog count.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerI agree with songdog. Alot of bigger tournaments require any team that places to take a polygraph test. Which is good because it keeps everyone honest. Even if there's no blocking system you couldn't beat a polygraph.

The last one I was in the people that won were from Texas and night hunted. That's illegal in Oklahoma but in my opinion it's a game changer if you can night hunt. They got 13 and 2nd place got 6 and 3rd killed 3. We should have had 5. We killed 2,missed 1,got winded by 1 and I called it quits too soon on a coyote. I called it quits at 10 minutes and should have called for 15 minutes. agree, but if the rules say you can night hunt, they may have travelled to a location that allows it? I've hunted in contests that allows night hunting, but the contest was held in an area that does not. We just travel to a location that does. Just as New Mexico. No night hunting allowed, so time to make a drive across to another state that does. That's where doing your "homework" comes into play, and not being caught off guard! 80% of my hunting is done at night, 80% of my team mate is during the day. Makes a great combo. Yep that's how people do it. The bad part is if you're from another state and only hear "Oh yeah there's tons of coyotes." from such and such in another state or on land you're not familiar with it might turn out not to be so great after all. By traveling very far you're taking a risk burning up time. Sometimes it's better to just stick with land you know. But it's good to have different options. I watch the weather really close before a tournament and go where the wind is blowing less if I can.

Back