Baiting

Nice going Deerslyr1 ....that is quite the haul..congratulations. Still quiet here ... maybe things pick up with full moon this weekend.

Last edited:
My first Indiana Red Fox. She came in after about an hour of sitting on one of my new bait sites I put out for a tournament I hunt in every year. I spotted her eyes at around 100 yards for a brief second (I have learned that fox don't stay still for very long) and then lost them so I turned my coyote reaper green gun light on and picked her up about 20 yards to the right of where I saw her first. She was getting ready to bolt into the timber so I lip squeaked her she stop and I squeezed. My Olympic arms .204 did a number on her but my taxidermist said he can fix her up.

deerslayr and wc, pretty work for both of you. wc, I have not found the 204 to be very fur friendly for fox especially with body shots. I have killed a couple with straight on chest shots that didn't blow a hole through them.

My bait site isn't producing right now. I have out good bait, but just not much coming to it for the past month. I did call and kill this nice female last night on a new piece of property that we have acquired to help eliminate some fawn killers.

WC and DoubleUp, nice job. I have been snowed in so that I haven't been to the farm in several days to check cameras or rebait. No doubt crows have been there and probably the red and gray fox that has been visiting for a while now.

Norwegian, good luck with your bait site. Keep us posed.

Predator hunt was this past weekend, partner hunting over bait and calling, no luck, total tally for the four day hunt with 43 teams registered only produced 14 coyotes. Things are slow, one wolf patrolling the camp property.

Dannyk, have you seen any correlation with increasing numbers of wolves and decreasing numbers of coyotes? I was just wondering if the coyotes move on out of an area when the wolves arrive.

Several guys doing good since I been here. Doubleup calling and blasting and some folks doing well with bait too. I still on long range duty at work and haven't been able to hunt. Deerslyr1, what kind of bait are you using?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpDannyk, have you seen any correlation with increasing numbers of wolves and decreasing numbers of coyotes? I was just wondering if the coyotes move on out of an area when the wolves arrive.
Doubleup, not sure if they leave as we still see tracks of both, I do know they sure seem to get quiet, not a lot of vocalization.

nice looking red.... I know the feeling on a miss once you get your next coyote you start to forget. I know when I do miss I ALWAYS concentrate the next time on my breathing a little more. Looks like you have been having fruitful winter overall. Keep it up

I did it to myself I was just telling a friend I very rarely miss at bait site! Lol
Double up I've been using deer carcasses I got from local processer seems to. Even alot of activity this year. Problem is I only get to my camp Fridays and saturdays....

I hadn't checked trail cameras since the 21st due to bad weather, but today I got to see what activity I had at the site. A red and gray fox continue visiting as are some local dogs. Crows are there most every day, but a coyote appeared night before last, made a couple of passes and left. It is missing a right rear leg, or the lower part. There was no bait for it since other critters had got it long before.

deerslyr1, that's great. Glad you are having some success. Deer carcasses work well for me last year, but we've been too warm to get the best effect from the 3 I put out earlier. My bait pile is pretty much not doing anything right now. Sometimes I hit those dry spells with it. Sooner or later it will pick back up again.

Finally got out and checked bait site. Looks like there has been a little activity when I am not looking. The anchored pallet seems to be slowing the snatch and run critters. When I started using a slatted semi open pallet, I put roughly a 5 gallon bucket of bait under it and here was a few pieces left. Since it is getting warmer this week and one of my bait barrels was in my truck ...starting to smell... I decided it was time to get the whole thing emptied. Dumped 1 big square block 2ftX2ftX3ft of beef trimmings and bones then put pallet back on it. What a funny site to see, as it thaws and gets eaten should settle down. Needed to do something drastic to ratchet up the temptation for them to stay longer. Now we wait and see.

That's a great idea with the pallet I may try that next year.
I've had a rather large flock of crows and ravens sitting on the bait most the day eating up alot of it

DSlyr - What a nice looking red! Congratulations.

The birds of prey and the birds of garbage now own my bait piles. They know how to knock off all the "concealing" brush cover I have added to get to the bait. Predator activity still slow. I did manage to pop this boar night before last at around 7:30pm. Thank goodness for the alarm flashing or I would never have know he was at the bait.
Personally, I don't recall such a slow season ever, as this one. Crazy.

Well my baiting has really dropped off, but that didnt stop me from getting pics of this guy!

First wolf pics I have ever gotten. Camera was out for over a week and I had 115 pics, two pics of a coyote running off with the bait and about 10 pics of the wolf.

Back