Black mouth Cur Cross or ?

Jay Cummings

I know there is a sub forum for dogs but I thought I mite get a faster response here since there is little activity there.

Looking for a dog for a hunting partner and a family dog. From what I have read it seems the BMC breeds and crosses are extrememly loyal eager to please. First and foremost it must be a good family pet as I have two little girls that are just craving a dog since my French Brittany died. Secondly, I would like a dog to take coyote hunting with me and teach him or her to be a decoy dog. If the dog turns out not to be too good on yotes thats fine as my family will have a good pet. Anybody know of any dogs available in the Ks/OK area? Also, is a cross gonna be cheaper than a pure bred? Thanks for any help.

You can find just about anything on squirrel dog central website. Ask a lot of questions to the breeder. Everybody is making crosses nowadays to just sell pups. Find parents that are doing exactly what you want your pup to do. Lots of guys are just breeding based on bloodlines and not the ability of both parents.

I don't think you could go wrong with a BMC. Get in touch with Curt Ladner if you want one from top bloodlines, and deal with a great guy.

I have 4 curs. Two broke dogs and two pups. My broke dogs are as devoted to me as any yard dog and are willing to please always. They are mainly squirrel dogs that nab an occasional raccoon.

My Mountain cur just turned one year old. Everything said about these curs is spot on. Great dogs in the filed and in the home.

The Mountain Cur that I had was the best dog I'd ever had....was great with the kids and was great on coyotes....good luck on the pup search....

Thanks guys! Do most of you guys buy from breeders or just find someone close that had a litter of pups to get rid of? Looking at the prices from some of the breeders($1000) looks like I'm gonna just have to find someone with pups to get rid of. Call me cheap, but my finances and thought process ain't gonna allow me to spend $1000. Still searching.

Most cur pups around these parts sell for 300 or less. I gave 400 for one once and I ended up trading her for a finished 3yr old beagle. Ended up being an awesome trade. I have one now that is out of 5x world champion hummer and 1x world champion bluegrass jiggles. I gave 500 for him and he dont act any better than the last one I got for free. Time will tell. I've never seen any cur pups sell for 1000.

Back