Just a tread protector on the end?

Interesting that you pose this question.

Just finished step two of testing nekid muzzle, versus 4 other possibilities (flash hider, flash/comp, heavy flash/comp, & muzzle brake).

For the barrel that I used, no muzzle device would be the best for accuracy.

Originally Posted By: reddog964Not Me, But I like my muzzle doohickey though....

Yes I will make an exception when I get one of those also...2 on the way, hopefully one within a couple months and another this summer.

Originally Posted By: magicman57How many of my fellow hunters on this site -- run with just a tread protector on the end of the hunting AR-15 muzzle?

First, when I order a barrel, unless I have thoughts of putting a can on it sometime, I order a target crown, no threading.

Second, yes I have some thread protectors, that I put on naked threaded muzzles, and am replacing some of the previous flash hider/muzzle breaks, of the past.

But, I tried one of these newish linear compensators, by Kaw Valley Precision, and have to say, I am impressed. They direct the muzzle blast noise forward, and on some load development groups this weekend, I shot several sub.5 MOA groups. Very light weight, and from this weekend groups, apparently no negative influence of group sizes. This is on a 223 Wylde(ARP Barrel), so I ordered another Kaw Valley Comp, for a LR-308 re-barrel effort, to try it on a 308 Win. barrel just in from X-Caliber. We shall see how that one works as soon as the rest of the parts get in for that project.

Squeeze

Squeeze, have you tried ARP's JAL linear comp? I'm eyeing it for a build. I love my linear on my 223 Wylde ARP barrel, intrigued by the muzzle gasses being directed away from the bullet and flight path. Also short to reduce weight.

Originally Posted By: DustKaw Valley Precision LC for my next upper until I decide on a can.

The Kaw Valley Precision 223 Linear Comp is a great option for hunting. Thread protectors add 0 functionality. You might as well get some flash/noise/recoil mitigation out of a threaded barrel.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeBut, I tried one of these newish linear compensators, by Kaw Valley Precision, and have to say, I am impressed. They direct the muzzle blast noise forward, and on some load development groups this weekend, I shot several sub.5 MOA groups. Very light weight, and from this weekend groups, apparently no negative influence of group sizes.

They do work well for directing the blast noise forward! Typically you'll see a little POI shift but typically the KVP linear comps don't negatively affect accuracy.

Last edited:
After the initial testing of no muzzle device and 4 muzzle devices, there is quite a bit of difference in point of impact (no changes to initial zero)....as in 16 inches difference by just adding a muzzle device.

Second round of testing, included the same five possibilities, and checking for accuracy with each device.

The last round of testing, is the same as round two, but at 300 yards....but this round of testing has not happened...yet!

Bullet weights were 40 to 80 gr. All tests shot off of a bipod and rear sand bag.

Originally Posted By: goose_boySqueeze, have you tried ARP's JAL linear comp? I'm eyeing it for a build. I love my linear on my 223 Wylde ARP barrel, intrigued by the muzzle gasses being directed away from the bullet and flight path. Also short to reduce weight.

Sorry, just saw the question. No, I have not, but it is on my short list to try. I have yet to catch them, "In stock" when doing other business there.

I am going to have to run some experiments to see if any of my barrel's accuracy drops off with these Comps. I can say I have not noticed any group sizes going from itty bitty to shotgun, but I do have one load development that seems to have lost it's mojo, with the last set of fine tuning groups. I blamed it on some mildly gusty winds...Maybe it was the comp?

Squeeze

Thread protector for me. Had my brake taken off right at the factory, on order. For me, I didn't want the extra weight, length, and extra noise. I guess it comes down to what is important to you, and your needs.

Back