Big Tom Cat down...long time coming

gonzaga

Well this is a little late but better late than never....lol...
I've been trying to get a Mt Lion killed for almost 20 years.....I've bought the calls, called some in, but have never been able to seal the deal.....that was up until Thanksgiving of 2015.
My buddy and his 12 year old son asked us to tag along on his deer hunt this year....we were glad to oblige.
So we'd gotten a pretty good snowstorm that week dumping anywhere from 12" to 36" of snow. We hadn't been seeing many deer but we had been seeing a lot of coyotes. Seemed like they were everywhere....so we decided to fill the down time of deer bedded with some coyote calling.
We had set up below the corrals at the ranch. We've always seen coyotes run through here as well as Bobcats and the occasional Mt. Lion and their tracks......
15 minutes into the stand and I see a brown flash run between some small cedar trees. I swing around towards the area.....sure enough there was a cougar....I was using a Tebbe red distress call. Just as the crosshair were level the cougar begin to try to sneak away because he wasn't seeing any prey. One shot from the suppressed 260 and he was down. A lifelong dream fulfilled in what seemed like just a few seconds....the cat measured 7'6" long and we bathroom scaled the cat at 145....the G&F estimated his weight at 180 based off his size.
The guy holding him up is 5'10" for reference.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back