Full float VS non

jimmyp

Sorry for these probly painfully obvious questions, but I have finally drank the cool aid, and after building an AR I am now trying to "help" my bushmaster.

My factory bushy is a 16" optics ready carbine, it never shot well. 2MOA was about average for the gun in stock trim. Well, I have recently had a trigger spring kit done, and free floated the barrel. I know freeing up a barrel make a big difference in a bolt gun, but I keep seeing the gas block and gas tube and I wonder how much difference I should expect from free floating?

I don't expect miracles, just looking for general observations, and experiences.

I think you'll see a nice improvement. No way to know till you shoot it. The other things that may help are squaring the upper and bedding the barrel extension in the upper with blue loctite. Do a search for those subjects, there's been a fair amount written about that in the last couple years.

Having the barrel recrowned helped a DPMS Oracle I had once, that's another thing to consider.

My experiences have snow minimal improvement. I've done 2 ARs that were originally using clam style non free float handguard and I switched to vented free floats on both...one was a 20" Hbar barrel and the other a 16" Patrolman M4 cut....neither rifle showed any appreciable improvement in accuracy which isn't really that surprising when you look at the original delta ring/ gas block setup on a non free float AR. That said I do have Midwest free float tubes on my AR's, if nothing else they are aesthetically pleasing.
smile.gif

Back