Questions on AR upper

nativecat

I bought a Stag Predator a while back. I put a shillen 6x45 barrel on. It is very accurate. I still have the 24" stag barrel that I would like to put on another upper. I would like to be able to just change the upper when I want to change calibers. I am trying to learn the AR-15's. I am hoping that I can get some direction on what to do. I want a gun that shoots well in the .223, but I have no idea on what parts to get. Can someone please give me a list on what parts I need.
Is there a difference in quality in uppers. Also I have already bought a Vortex 4x14 50mm scope. I need to know what mounts to purchase.

You will need the following

1)Upper
2)Handguard (free float will have barrel nut if that's the route you go)
3) Gas block(typically people use low profile...they work with most handguards you will select)
4) Gas tube (in correct length...I would assume rifle system in that long of a barrel but without seeing it I'm not 100%)
5) Charging handle
6) Bolt carrier assembly with bolt (You could use the same bolt and bolt carrier group between your two uppers but the parts do wear together so it's advisable to leave them as matched set to each independent upper)

There is a difference in upper quality among manufacturers...some uppers do not fit snug on ARs a little slop doesn't really hurt accuracy but rattles drive me batty. I've always had good luck with CNMG uppers and they make uppers with T marks which is useful if you remove and remount optics often.

The height of your rings/mount is dependent on what you decide to use for a handguard...if it is railed you will need a taller mount that if it is not railed.

Yes I am wanting to build in a similar configuration, it seems to work well now. Are there any good manufacturers that you recommend for these parts? Or you know of any lists of parts that would help?

Originally Posted By: nativecatYes I am wanting to build in a similar configuration, it seems to work well now. Are there any good manufacturers that you recommend for these parts? Or you know of any lists of parts that would help?

Well, you could order all the parts from Stag Arms or sell the stripped barrel and then just buy an upper half in the configuration that you're looking for. It could be but might not be more cost effective to go this route.

As far as parts and brands go, Seekins Precision, Noveske, Bravo Company, Spikes Tactical, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, Knights Armament, Strike Industries etc etc are all going to be good parts.

With a 24" Stainless barrel building a varminter the parts you'll need are as follows

An upper receiver I would recommend one that is already assembled with a dust cover and forward assist.
A bolt carrier group

Gas tube of the correct length,assuming the 24" barrel would be a rifle length

Gas block of the correct diameter at the barrels gas port bull barrel guessing a .936" Dia

Handguard or free float tube. Free float tubes usually come with a propriatary barrel nut but not always

A flash hider or break if the barrel if threaded for one

If you've never built an upper before I'd recommend the assistance of a competent gunsmith or someone you trust who knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
I've tried to call stag and they are completely shut down so I was going to order everything from joebobs. All of the gunsmith I know are to busy to even give me a price and plus I want to learn how to do everything

Originally Posted By: nativecatI've tried to call stag and they are completely shut down so I was going to order everything from joebobs. All of the gunsmith I know are to busy to even give me a price and plus I want to learn how to do everything

That's a heck of a good idea
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: nativecatI've tried to call stag and they are completely shut down so I was going to order everything from joebobs. All of the gunsmith I know are to busy to even give me a price and plus I want to learn how to do everything

joeboboutfitters

Here is a list of upper parts from Joebobs.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: nativecatI've tried to call stag and they are completely shut down so I was going to order everything from joebobs. All of the gunsmith I know are to busy to even give me a price and plus I want to learn how to do everything

That's a heck of a good idea
thumbup1.gif

What JoeBob said...

Suggestions - An adjustable gas block. It will reduce recoil, and wear in the lower.

"Better" Charging Handle. I find it hard to get to my charging handle with a normal eye relief scope mounted. You might shoot nose to charging handle (NTCH), in which case it won't matter.

Slim handguard. I am not a gorilla, and neither do I have gorilla hands. Slimmer handguards make gripping, carrying, sliding, etc. easier than fat quad rails etc.

Back