Baiting & Calling

Hotlead243

I found a fresh deer road kill this evening. I was thinking of putting it out in the area where I usually hunt deer. I seem to not get any action when I hunt in an area that i bait. Does anyone have any idea how I should present and secure this roadkill and also what should I use for calling them in?? Distress or howling in this area?? Should I just get rid of it or use it???

Please help....

i am curious to others responses too... but what i have done is use wire to attach the carcass (through the rib cage in several places) to a downed tree where i will have a good shot , then it cant be dragged off . i have had no luck calling near these sites . only luck i have had is sitting between midnight and 6am shot 1 yote (41.6 lbs) and had another leave when i hit the light.

Put it on an edge of a field. Stake it down or tie it down. If predators are around, they'll eat it.

Ever coyote/fox hits my deer carcasses at night. Usually from 10pm-6am. Results may vary where your at. We hardly see coyotes out during day light hours.

A friend and I hunted close to some deer carcasses on Christmas eve.Temp was -7C, I tried Lightning Jack,and a cottontail call for about an hour with nothing. Played a pup distress and we had a female running at us and a male hanging back a bit.
I'm wondering if they weren't full and didn't really care about the rabbit call.
If your bait is out for a while make sure and try some distress calls before you leave.

How do you secure the bait. I've baited in the past and they just take off with it. I heard of someone placing the carcass on it's side and covering it with chainlink fence. Then cut 4" holes in it so they can get at some meat and secure it with rebar.

So I guess to answer my question, you guys had success with howling and not distress call.

Last year or the year before we starting using coyotesicles which is bait frozen in a 5 gal. pale. You can start with the 5 gal. pale and cut the carcass into pieces that will fit into the pale. The pale is filled with water generally covering the bait and place it outside to freeze. Depending on your wife you could use your freezer; I don't use mine anymore. When it is frozen solid warm the pale and the ice block will separate and will fall out. Place the block where you want and wait. They cannot pick it up too carry it off so they stay around and dig at it.
The same type of thing was in a magazine this winter.
Good Luck

I have used the "baitcicle" in the past, a good option, also wiring the bait to a tree/fence/downed log. I also am of the opinion that howling/pupdistress work better than rabbit distress, as they are often full of the bait and aren't generally interested in more food. Often howling or other coyote sounds get their attention as they will defend their stash of meat.

I made a baitcicle on Wednesday.They ate half of it on Thursday and the rest by Friday morning.When I go call on Saturday am nothing comes???. I think I'm better of not baiting at all and keep they hungry. What do you think??

Put more out! They know where it is now. Put a trail cam on it to see what time they are hitting it. Then you know what time to be there....Jeff
smile.gif

What if they are coming out at night only. I don't want to feed these guys for free. How long should I keep on baiting them? til Spring? I have an abundant supply of scrap meat to give them. Do you find it just good to hunt them in the springtime?

I put out a dead pig last year chained to a fence post, it took them a little while to find it but once they did it was gone quick. Have parts from the deer I got this year out and don't have it secured to anything. A few times they drug the ribcage away from the pile but not far. What about playing some crow fights or a magpie? Let them know there is a free meal around? I would defiantly mix on some coyote vocals with it, especially this time of year.

Although it can be alot of work, I've had luck with larger baits in cold weather by saturating the ground with water and freezing it down. They don't drag it off that way. I have had coyotes be shy about things that are wired down, but not always. And bait-cicles ROCK!

Back