Factory ammo help

Bowhunt

I have a 16" 1 in 8" twist in my AR. It is chambered in 223/5.56....Just wondering what the most accurate Non-FMJ factory round is in your rifle of the same twist rate.

American eagle 50gr varmint tipped. Cheap and shoots dang near as good as my 50vmax hand loads. Mine is an 8t 20in but i will add that i have shot very little factory rounds through it.

Same experience here with the American Eagle ballistic tip 50s. They shoot very well out of my 16 inch as well as my 24 inch 1 in 8s. I like the 50 grain Fiochi a bit better though.

I bought some Federal 40 gr ballistic tips that shot as good as any of my hand loads..... and Wicked fast !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorAmerican eagle 50gr varmint tipped. Cheap and shoots dang near as good as my 50vmax hand loads. Mine is an 8t 20in but i will add that i have shot very little factory rounds through it.

ditto that, I think we are talking about the black box tipped varmint. that stuff has shot well in everything I have tried it in. 4 different barrels/guns I have run it through. its also really cheap at times when you can find it on special.

the only problem with it is not loaded very hot, its actually one of the more mild loadings.

My 8 twist prefers a heavier bullet, It will put 50-55gr bullets in a shotgun pattern It will tighten up a touch with 60r stuff, and seems to really like 69gr stuff. At the moment the fiocchi stuff loaded with 69r SMK has shot the best out of my 8 twist AR.

Mine did really well with the Hornady 55 grain ammo as well. Shot a couple 5 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards with it. I swapped it for a 1:7 twist though, so no longer have the 1:8 to play with.

My RRA Predator Pursuit (16" barrel, 1:8 twist) absolutely loves Hornady Superformance Varmint 53 gr. V-Max ammo. I can consistently shoot nickel-size groups at a 100 yards with it. I'm very pleased with it!

I use to run their 55 gr. varmint load with good success; however, the new Superformance stuff is much more accurate out of my rifle.

I've also tried some heavier weight factory ammo (e.g., Black Hills 60 gr.), but the results were less than favorable.

The AE 50gr varmint tipped ammo is great stuff but recently tried some of the Fiocchi 50gr v-max. This stuff is awesome out of my Mossberg MMR and Savage Axis. Both rifles have a 1:9 twist barrel, and both rifles shoot sub MOA with this load.
$22.00 for a box of 50 !

Last edited:
Back