Muzzleloader Question??

LUCKYDOG

I don't know much at all about muzzleloaders but I know I'm going hunting with one next year. The two that I'm looking at buying have different barrel lengths. Besides that they are pretty much the same. One is a break over with a 24" barrel. The other is a break over with a 26" barrel. I was wondering how much those two inches will affect the performance of the muzzleloader.

I'll be hunting in Colorado. No scopes are allowed here so it will be open sights. I haven't done a ton of homework yet but I can't see me taking a shot of more than 150 yards. Maybe less or maybe a little more depending on how it shoots and what I learn in the coming off season.

Thanks in advance for any information at all.

I don't think you will see too much difference with only two inches of barrel length. I bought a muzzle loader with a 24" barrel and I was a little concerned about the shorter barrel giving up too much velocity. I was however, willing to give up some velocity for the better handling and balance that was achieved through the shorter barrel.

So I decided to shoot over the chronograph to see just how much velocity would be lost. I found that with a 300 grain Hornady XTP inside of a Harvester Crush Rib sabot, on top of 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 being ignited by a CCI 209M primer, I got over 1900 fps.

Just for reference, my TC Omega, with its 28” barrel and the same load, except using a 250 grain slug was only getting about 80 -100 fps more.

This may just be a difference in the barrels themselves as much as the length, I don't know.

My advice would be to go with the rifle that you like the best and fits you best and not worry about barrel length.

I would really prefer the shorter barrel as it would be easier to shoulder and carry. If the results of the two inches is indeed minimal, then I would go with the 24" for sure.

Last edited:
TC Impact or the CVA Wolf or Optima II.

I don't want to spend a ton of money until I see how serious we get about it. It's going to be hard enough to get the time between bow hunting and rifle season. But no matter what, we are going this season for sure.

Last edited:
I have an Impact... It's a good shooting rifle. I've had it two years and during that time someone in the family has hunted it and killed deer with it each year.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiCheck out the CVA Accura V2 with the Bergara barrel, extremely accurate and under $500.

I looked at those but the barrel is 27 inches. I'm not saying I won't buy one after I do my homework but I was hoping a shorter barrel would do the job.

^ It's a fairly nimble gun for the barrel length & lighter than my semi-auto shotgun I carry for deer/predators.

Whatever you choose I wouldn't sacrifice any accuracy for a shorter/lighter barrel when it comes to muzzleloaders. That barrel has a 1-28 twist so it's just about making a full rotation before it leaves, much shorter you're getting a lot less rotation unless you find a faster twist. I chose it because after my research I was able to find a load that shoots sub MOA, before I even bought it, so once I had it there was no fiddling around for a deer load.

My neighbor just sold his Omega and bought the Accura after he saw my groups with blackhorn and Barnes TEZ's. It's that Bergara barrel that makes the difference, very high quality IMO.

I Hunt with ML just about every year here in Colorado and the gun I carry the most has a 32" barrel. It is not the least bit difficult to carry. Occasionally I carry a 24" and there is no perceived difference for me.

Given the report above on the Accura, I'd jump on board with that one.

No optics, no pellets and no Sabot's, so all you need is a slug that gives good accuracy. I have not shot anything but balls for over 30 years, so take the following with a grain of salt; a good friend told me that he has had very inconsistent results with power belts.

I went and looked at them again tonight. The TC Impact looks very cheap and I have ruled it out. I'm leaning towards the CVA Optima in the fluted stainless barrel but I have not ruled out the CVA Wolf.

CVA Optima II 26" Stainless Fluted-$259

CVA Wolf 24"-$169

I'm buying one of them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGI looked at those but the barrel is 27 inches. I'm not saying I won't buy one after I do my homework but I was hoping a shorter barrel would do the job.

LUCKYDOG, You should check out the CVA Accura Mountain rifle,
it has a 25" barrel and is a very nice rifle.

Also, I have an LHR Redemption that has a 24" barrel and shoots great as well. It is now carried by S&W or T/C and is called the Strike.

A shorter barrel will Most definately do the job.
If I can get some pics to upload I can offer up some proof from 180 to 209 yards on elk and mule deer!

Last edited:

189 Yards shot was facing head on, bullet passed from chest all the way thru to the hind leg, then tumbled down the leg bone and I found the slug down by the knee joint.

180 yards standing free hand shot due to the cover and my position being about to be busted by some cows and I had no time to lose.
Broad side shot with a complete pass thru.

209 yards broad side shot, complete pass thru !

All three of these were with my LHR Redemption:

300 Gr. Hornady XTP, .45 cal pistol bullet
Harvester Crush rib sabot

100 Gr. Blackhorn 209

CCI 209 M primer

Optic - Aimpoint 2 moa red dot with no magnification.

Back