Clarification about Shawnee National Forest IL

Speedy7722

I have searched this and other forums, along with reading what is available online and I feel like there is conflicting information on whther you are allowed to use centerfire rifles in the Shawnee for coyote hunting. Where my confusion lies is in the special hunting regulations for the oakwood bottoms (below) and another page I read online that says only rimfires are allowed (ftp://www.ilga.gov/JCAR/AdminCode/017/017005500000300R.html)

Section 550.30: Raccoon, Opossum, Striped Skunk, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Coyote, and Woodchuck (Groundhog)
Hunting on Department-Owned, Department-Leased or Department-Managed Sites
f) Statewide regulations as provided for in this rule apply at the following sites (exceptions are in
parentheses): Shawnee National Forest, Oakwood Bottoms, and LaRue Scatters (season closes 7 days
before opening of duck season and remains closed through the duck season; at Oakwood Bottoms non-toxic
shot only).

I called the Shawnee headquarters to find out if this applied to the Shawnee and if you were allowed to hunt Oakwood bottoms or the Larue scatters area with centerfire rifles, and the lady on the phone really had no idea.

So can anyone confirm that yes rifles are allowed in the SNF and does anyone know about hunting in these other two "special" areas?

I have been all over the SNF while working for the state and am planning on doing some calling. Thanks for your help.

I really have no info to help concerning the Shawnee area but we're only allowed to use rimfires on state managed sites up here. A game warden for that area should be able to clarify that for you.

Good luck,
Steve.

Page 35 of the Hunting & Trapping Regulations FAQ's

Q: Can I use a centerfire rifle for
hunting in Illinois? Or handguns?
A: The following species may be taken with
a rifle or handgun: coyote, striped skunk,
woodchuck, squirrel, rabbit, raccoon,
opossum and red and gray fox. We do not
regulate the caliber of handgun or rifle that
may be used, except on state-owned or
managed areas, which normally allow only the
use of shotguns or .22 caliber rimfire rifles.
Squirrel, furbearers and woodchuck hunters
may use a .17 caliber rimfire rifle on some
state-owned or managed areas. No rifles may
be possessed in the field, however, during
firearm deer season except that trappers may
carry a .22 rimfire rifle to dispatch animals
during firearm deer season. Certain handguns
are lawful for deer hunting (see pages 17-18
for regulations).
In addition to DNR’s site specific regulations,
many cities or counties may have local
ordinances prohibiting the use of certain
firearms. It is important that you also check
with your local police agencies before you
hunt. At all times when in possession of
firearms, hunters must also comply with the
other firearms regulations as outlined in the
Illinois Criminal Code.

Now do the areas you asked about fit in the "normally allow only"

Page 28

 Before coyote hunting at public hunting
areas, check with the site office for site
specific regulations.

Who knows and good luck trying to find out

Seeing many cats down your way ?

Ok, looks like I will have to make some more phone calls. And about seeing bobcats, I am from the Mt. Vernon area and we have been getting some pics of some here. Although I have talked with several people from the deep south that claim they are seeing plenty of them.

Last edited:
Back