some pics from this year

thanks bowhunt, thanks for comments, hoping to get called on state trapping job, idk, still no word, stinks waiting
I pulled everything just after Christmas, snows got to be too much trouble for how many I was catching,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tactical .20wow, Ohio, thats long ways to go to hunt pheasants, I think on tman a guy from PA went to SD to hunt them, I hear numbers are down out there in SD. This year I saw a lot of roosters, sometimes ten in a bunch by the road, I dont hunt anything but coyotes, normally.
Dog wacker, been back to IA lately? I ended up with 51 is all.
I have to laugh, I kept saying on tman how I was doing, like had 4th double, couple guys said no pics, never happened. So I finally got pics loaded on pbucket to show and put them on posts, 1000 views, 5-6 comments, wt heck? I thought they wanted pics, lol

Yep, I have been out to spirit lake I believe 8 or so times over past years. Did not get to go this year. Work schedule has been busy, also last few years bird numbers have been so poor it hasn't been worth going. Hope to get back out in next few years.

Never had any luck coyote hunting however. Tried several times at several places. No luck.

i'm seeing roosters all over, still seeing them late this winter, hope spring is good nesting season for them, saw up to 6-8 in one group, several times, private land is best, I see someone hunts some of the public stuff at least once a day or more

We have always hunted public land due to the large amount in the area. Combined with us not knowing anyone in area. I would love to come back and see bird numbers like they were when I first started coming out. Just got to find the time and money.

Usually 3-4. But every year its looking more and more like just myself and a buddy will be only ones. But its up in the air honestly until later in year when I find out if ill even be able to come out.

TAC: You may know this already. ALL my trap stakes are 30 inches long. I weld a 1/2 inch wide washer to the top, put on a swivel designed for stakes, slip another 1/2 wide washer UNDER the swivel, slip another 1/2 wide washer under that and strike two weld bumps just below the last washer. NEVER had one jack a stake out done this way. FYI.....

i bet that works good in that hard clay, good idea, I like the nut on top so I can use vise grip to twist out if hard to pull.
here some of this old lake bed ground you can push a 1/2" stake 12"-18" in the ground by hand before needing a hammer, much different soil. I bet sand is way different than the yellow clay.
I had a 30" stake pumped and gone, rained that night last fall, firm hay ground where staked. Hate it when that happens, most times I catch them later, I used to have some snares too short making them easier to pull, maybe that one was a short one.
Had one 1x19 5/64 chewed off last fall too, that is rare.
odd year last fall-winter, got 90% of them in snares, usually it runs about 60%, maybe we had better grass to start season and longer time before snow ruined sets, hard to say
I could post pics of my caught 61 coyotes but pbucket wont work anymore

Back