Fox friendly factory 223 load?

ZaneTucker

Hey guys. I'm looking for a fur friendly 233 load for my RARR. Currently I'm shooting Winchester white box 45gr hollow points. The shoot great out of my gun and I have shot 4 yotes with it so far and none exited and all 4 were drt. Furthest shot was 100 yards as our fields are small around here. But I did shoot 2 nice reds with my 223 that wouldn't come to shot gun range and I tore them both up pretty bad. One was a chest shot and the other was broadside and right behind the shoulder. I love shooting fox as they are actually my main target with yotes being picked up along the way so I hate blowing them up. Normally we can get them with in 50 so the shotgun does the work there. But every once in a while we get one the will hang up outside my comfortable range.

If allowed shoot fmj on fox with the 223. If not mid range velocity hard cast 55gr bullet they don't open up and you will get less pelt damage.hollow point will just blow them up. Sierra makes a nice soft point . shoot some jack rabbits it should give you a idea of what to expect. I carry 2 guns 22mag with soft points. And my 22-250 I've shot Jack's with the 22-250 and no matter the load under 200yrds explosive.

Head shots are your best bet to save fur. Set some eggs on golf tees at 50-75 yards and see how you do, off the sticks, even better off hand. A little egg practice and a fox head will be a chip shot.

You might want to try the barnes vor-tx ammo. They make it in a 223 55 gr. flat base. I have not shot any fox with them but they are great for holding together for small holes on coyotes, both in and out.

Back