Loud Safety

OneK

Has anyone every experimented with modifying their safety to make it quieter?
cursing.gif

Seems like you could slope the detent somewhat and where it would not clang as it dropped into the depression.

Anybody know??

Yes, and yes. It's been a while since I did that to my lowers but I did mellow it out like you suggest and it does help.

Its easy, keep your thumb on it and move it to shoot with pressure on it. Don't flick it off. They are all loud that way.

I wouldnt modify the safety unless it really takes some force to get it to move. I have modified a few in the past, but on most guns you can do like was mentioned.

Thanks for the help but small ten year old hands have a hard time riding the safety down so I may try the dremel tool trick. If I screw it up at least safety's are cheap.

Originally Posted By: CFranksThanks for the help but small ten year old hands have a hard time riding the safety down so I may try the dremel tool trick. If I screw it up at least safety's are cheap.

I have short fingers and found the standard safety a bit short to "ride down" without moving my hand on the pistol grip. Someone suggested a RR safety and the "star" did help:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=384

If you have to get another safety anyway, might give it a try.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: CFranksThanks for the help but small ten year old hands have a hard time riding the safety down so I may try the dremel tool trick. If I screw it up at least safety's are cheap.

Have him use his other hand to move the safety. He doesn't need to use the hand that is on the grip. My daughter used mine when she was 10.

A dremel is a terrible idea. AT MOST some very fine emery paper and oil can be used to clean up the surfaces...but a dremel is far too aggressive, IMO.

I will never forget the day we (three of us) drove 6+ hours to hunt this ranch. Once there we walked in for at least three miles.

We set up three across, and placed an e-caller right in the middle of us.

After only a couple minutes of calling a coyote comes right down the middle. I'm on the right and see the dog coming in. The dog stops and my buddy takes his safety off! It was like someone slapped a fork and spoon together, it was that loud. Wiley bails out at light speed.

Needless to say he will never live that down and I will post a link to this post so he can see it too :)

Originally Posted By: capitolI will never forget the day we (three of us) drove 6+ hours to hunt this ranch. Once there we walked in for at least three miles.

We set up three across, and placed an e-caller right in the middle of us.

After only a couple minutes of calling a coyote comes right down the middle. I'm on the right and see the dog coming in. The dog stops and my buddy takes his safety off! It was like someone slapped a fork and spoon together, it was that loud. Wiley bails out at light speed.

Needless to say he will never live that down and I will post a link to this post so he can see it too :)

If I were him I would be bagging on you other two as to why wiley was allowed to bail. Should have been laying on the ground with three weapons in hand.
smile.gif

First coyote I called & killed stopped dead at 70 yards from the sound of the safety, since then i've turned my safety off before I turn the caller on.

I chuck the detent into a drill and roll the pointed tip and the cornered edge of the bevel into a nice gentle curve. No need for it to be pointed at all.

Then, similarly, I take a small tapered round file and knock the corners off of the holes at either end of the detent groove, and polish the groove itself. No reason for the holes to be so distinct, they can be significantly rounded and still positively hold the selector switch in the appropriate positions.

The problem with selectors, how they leave the factory, is in the dimensions. The detent is supported at the rim until it's able to fully drop into the detent holes, which then "snaps" it against the selector. By softening all of the edges, you can let it ride down the holes a little better without that loud "snap" at the end, but still holding in position securely.

Back