1st time reloading

TKCattle

Started with a ladder .5 jump. Didn't go to max load just because its my 1st time reloading but the best was at group 24.5gr
New 223 Nolser case
CCI 400 primer
Benchmark
Nolser varagaden 55gr.
OACL 2.254 longer hangs in mag
best 3 shot group at 100yds. .820
RRA Coyote 20in hbarrle 1/9 twist
Can I tighten this up by diff. powder any thoughs?
Man I like the smell of burnt benchmark.

Maybe try your most accurate charge and start tweaking your seating depth. some bullets and rifles dont mind a considerable jump.

Load some more at 24.5, 24.7, 25.0 and see if it gets better or worse. Don't be afraid of maximum published loads if you work up slowly, and don't see any pressure signs. With a AR you are limited to mag length seating depth. You might try working up several different loads with a different brands of primers with your Benchmark, as sometimes you may see slight improvement from one primer versus another.

Last edited:
What primers will work in 223 case? Primers are hard to come by in this area when, I got the CCI 400s I went to three reloading shops before I found them. (only small rifle primers I could find) Shipping is $ with haz mat fee. My reloading manual called for Rem. small primers.

Rem 7 1/2, Fed 205, and WSR. Nothing wrong with the CCI 400. Start back at the starting load when switching brands. I'm beginning to see primers around here at gun shows and gun stores. Make sure you always seat them flush or slightly below flush, especially on the AR.

Last edited:
You are off to a great start. May I ask what your rifling twist rate is? Not sure what your ultimate goal is here. Your best load so far should have no problem shooting minute of coyote. Can that RRA do better my bet is yes.

If you really want to see what that rifle can do, I would try changing bullets. Seen the following posted on another forum a while back and feel this may be what you are seeking.

Sierra 77 SMK or Hornady 75 BTHP match bullet with several powder charges of commonly available powders loaded to magazine length of 2.250". It is no secret, load development has already been done, almost any barrel buttoned or cut of high quality, Douglas, Wilson, PacNor, Green Mountain, Krieger, Bartelien, Schnieder, Satern and others chambered with a Wyld Chamber and set with a 6.5-8 twist per inch simply works. It is expected to produce .5 MOA groups in 98 out of 100 barrels. And it does with 24.5 grains of Varget, 24.0 grains of Reloader 15, or 23.2 grains of IMR8208XBR.

His comment went on to say; With these loads if you do not shoot clean (perfect scores) it is you, all you.

Dad picked up a RRA a while back and found the few loads he tried all shot well to very well. Best load he tried in that rifle yet was with Hornady 68 grain BTHP and IMR4895.

No secret to his power choice. IMR 4895 is a fine power that he just so happen to have on hand. He felt very satisfied with sub half MOA groups and stopd experimenting.

typically as long as you stick to small rifle (NOT small rifle Magnums) you can back down a little and find the sweet spot. I typically back down .5 and work up in .2 increments to find the new sweet spot. only takes a few shots.

not many people run a load exactly as the book says. they use it simply as a guideline.

for tuning your load as stated above try smaller increments between .5 below and .5 above your best load.

once you find a good load there trying moving the OAL in and out a bit. you may be limited by mag length in an AR so i typically load 2.26 2.22 2.20 and 2.18 see if any stand out. and as always, check for pressure signs as you go. The less case capacity the more pressure.

My 223 guns like imr and Hodgen 4895.to really fine tune a rifle load try 200yrds.I have had several loads do great at 100 yrds just to open 4 times larger at 200. Most loads that hold up to 200yrd testing will keep at 300yrds.

Try some TAC and 60 gr Vmax. My RRA will shoot a .3" group at 100 yds. Actually, my wife shoots tighter groups with it, .25" and that's 5 round groups.

As the others have stated OAL is your next step, be careful with an AR it isn't always mag length that is restrictive. My PSA has a very short jump to the lands and if you seat to long it will really jam that bullet in and get stuck. Make sure you measure first. Plenty of you tube videos on how to measure for cheap.

Originally Posted By: nyquackAs the others have stated OAL is your next step, be careful with an AR it isn't always mag length that is restrictive. My PSA has a very short jump to the lands and if you seat to long it will really jam that bullet in and get stuck. Make sure you measure first. Plenty of you tube videos on how to measure for cheap.
+1 (cleaning spilt powder out of an AR lower is no fun, especially at the range, and not just PSA barrels either)

a note on primers for AR15 from CCI:
CCI states: "The CCI 400 primer does have a thinner cup bottom than CCI 450, #41 or BR4 primers. The appropriate primer for an AR15 platform is the CCI #41 primer, which helps to prevent slamfires. With this primer there is more 'distance' between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup." [as per: Linda Olin - CCI/Speer Technical Services]. Despite this, it seems that most AR15 reloaders have experienced no problems using the BR4 and 450 thicker cupped primers in rifles in good condition. The #41 gives the greatest safety margin however.

Back