Helmet mounting Pulsar HD19A

LARUEminati

Well there isn't much out there in regards to helmet mounting a Pulsar HD19A so I figured I'd make a formal thread. The first and only example i've seen was made by member bleas who fabricated a custom bracket to mount the unit perfectly horizontal to a Norotos milspec NVG mount.

Here's member bleas custom bracket design:

Initially I intended on also making a custom bracket however for left-eye viewing. I like the left eye so if I need to pull the shotgun my right eye isn't completely washed out. I suppose you could use Sledge's rig and swing the J-arm to the left side, bleas if you could report back on how that works out that would be great.

For my first weekend trying the helmet rig out I just used the factory tripod mount on the picatinny rail side of the HD19A, and it keeps the unit at a slight 45 which actually turned out to be satisfactory for scanning. At this point i'm going to keep using it the way it is, I don't feel the need for the bracket yet as nice as it would be for it to be horizontal. Very pleased overall, awesome to not have to hold the unit to your eye and scan with thermal at night.

Here's mine & how you can mount it without a custom bracket:

I also quickly discovered the need for a counterweight on the helmet. Until I get a legitimate one, i've used my shotgun shell softcase with velcro on the back attached to the helmet. Works great and is perfectly balanced.

Anyone else who has come up with helmet mounts for this unit please share.

Last edited:
I use a PS 32 on a home made jig to get it to ride horizontal. I'm wondering how much weight you have in that pouch. I played around with mine and found 8-2oz turkey loads gave me the best balance. I figure it's just over 1 lb of counter weight.

Originally Posted By: bleasHey LaRue that is my mount for the HD19A

Bleas is correct. That is his mount and the inspiration for me building mine. There is no comparison between hand held and helmet mounted as you've found out. Much handier. For a counter weight, try the extended battery pack for it. It'll run that thing forever and counterbalances perfectly.

Nice job,
Steve.

Originally Posted By: bleasHey LaRue that is my mount for the HD19A

Sorry about that! I took some due diligence to try and figure out the origional fabricator of the bracket however aparently I was wrong. The archived threads that contined the pic were tough to dig through.

Great design!

No worries at all. I did buy a 1lb counterbalance weight for my helmet and it makes one heck of a difference. Much more comfortable. Was someone wanting to know if my mount would swing to the left eye?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fr3db3arNow, where to find a decent priced helmet.
The helmet I wear is just a cheap airsoft helmet. I mean really, what more do you need coyote hunting? You're not going to war with it

I purchased the airsoft helmet, PVS14, & J Arm but the J arm doesn't seem to seat properly. I see pictures of them fitting together but doesn't seem to be working on my end. Any ideas ?

I sent message to manufacturer of J arm to see if may this wasn't machines right but without this working, I cant mount it
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Jody SmithI purchased the airsoft helmet, PVS14, & J Arm but the J arm doesn't seem to seat properly. I see pictures of them fitting together but doesn't seem to be working on my end. Any ideas ?

I sent message to manufacturer of J arm to see if may this wasn't machines right but without this working, I cant mount it
frown.gif

I had to work mine to eventually get it to clip, i'm assuming thats what you mean is that you can't get it to clip into the mount.

I had to shave back the coating and expose a little bare metal on the helmet NVG mount slightly to give enough clearance for the tab on the J-arm to slide down and lock in place. Works fine now and it fits super tight with no wiggle. It's just a cheap mount that comes on those helmets not made to the proper tolerances.

Here is a dual setup I made same concept of helmet mounting thermal. Counter weight dual usb power pack which is a must have with the 2 units.

IMG_0537_zpsmsvnzhua.jpg

IMG_0538_zpshdd3hq8h.jpg

IMG_0542_zps2yx4t95p.jpg

IMG_0544_zpsbdlhbmdw.jpg

^ Now thats somethin else, reminds me of the NV from the first Jurassic Park.

Must be awesome, but doesn't that blind you in the dark?

Def have to give respect to that set-up though, nice job.

Each unit has a brightness level so I set it to where it's not too bright
I have thermal scope on rifle so image is thermal just at 5x

Originally Posted By: Hard_wareEach unit has a brightness level so I set it to where it's not too bright
I have thermal scope on rifle so image is thermal just at 5x

Nice set-up, hard to beat that.

Back