Anybody been using the Wolf bullets?

Dixiedog1

$200 for 4k for 55 gr .223 bullets was worth trying to me....I purchased a good amount of Wolf Primers quite a few years back when they were still cheap....great primers....I'm hoping their bullets perform as well

Wolf 4k case

$5.00 per ct sounds good. But I don't think I would lay down $200.00 on an unproven component unless I was just planning plinking loads. Hope they work out for you.

Wow, those are cheap. But they may be cheap for a reason to and I don't know how much shipping would cost. They do offer a smaller box of 1k you may want to give a test to see if they are to your liking, then go big. But on the other hand if you are using them for short range, rapid fire fun then it might be a steal.

The plan is to devastate golf balls from 20-100 yards with an AR. I'm going to give them a whirl and see how they do, the Wolf primers tured out excellent and in hindsight I should have ordered a lot more of them....back then I believe the primers were $60 per 5k

May look into these. There was a recent thread on ar-15.com on them - guys are buying them up. One fellow had decent result out of them for a bulk fmj. Not a target bullet. Looks like they were just being released in bulk, so it'll take a whole for a consensus. Let us know what results you get.

If I can still get through the snow to shoot after they arrive I'll make sure to snap a few pics of the groups I get....if they shoot well I'll be ordering a bunch more while they are still available at a good price.

Well I got my 4K Wolf bullets yesterday and I've got to say they look good, much better than Winchester FMJ and equal to Hornady FMJ in my experience.

Packaging was good, they are split into boxes of 1K inside the 4K box

Then the bullets are bagged in the smaller boxes

If you're a Hornday FMJ reloader the first thing you'll notice is that the cannelure is in a different spot and the Wolfs will seat longer at 2.24-2.25 to be aligned for crimping vs the 2.14-2.15 the Hornadys typically crimp at. The cannelure location is very consistent on the 100 or so I've looked at.

I've loaded up some ammo and am heading off to the range today, I can't say I'd base best possible accuracy on my shooting today though....it's 14 degs and I'm going to be using my Aimpoint PRO optic AR so it's not a benchrest rig on it's best day and with cold temps the nut behind the trigger is likely to get a bit more sloppy too.
blush.gif

Accuracy so far seems good

50 yard 5 shot group with newly built AR....new out of box Aimpoint PRO installed...no bore sighting

I dialed it to the right a bit too far but given the cold temps I was happy to call that good enough for now

The total outside measurement of the group was .873 ....-.223 would be a .650 group at 50 yards....for a fmj bullet I'm happy with that

This was just a preliminary load of 26.5 gr 223 CFE powder seating to 2.250-2.255 for the 10 samples I loaded......the OAL was surprising consistent for a cheap bullet....I've got a good deal more testing to do but not until it gets at least to 40 degrees or so and the snow melts down a bit....I typically shoot at 100 yards but having to break a trail to my target made 50 seem sufficient today.
tt2.gif

Back