Opinions on a 788 build

pyscodog

I have three 223's, the latest being a Rem 788. Been kicking around the idea of buying an X-caliber barrel in 20 cal and making a 20 Practical or 20 Tactical. Probably a new Boyd's thumbhole or Prarie Hunter stock and a Timney. Its still going to be a 788 no matter what I do to it but thinking it will be a really cool 788. I know I could use a 700 action or Savage or????? action. I just thought building it on the 788 would have a bit of cool factor. Whats your thoughts??

Not yet! Its only an idea right now. I kinda feel the same way. Thats why I'm asking for opinions. Its a nice rifle and shoots good too!! Maybe I should save the 788 and use my Savage Axis????
Just price checked on x-caliber and a Savage pre-fit would save me a bunch of money. May go that route.Save the 788. Still like to hear you thoughts.

Last edited:
my thoughts are same as you have. 788's are like old ford broncos. once they are gone, they are gone. they aint coming back. never. keep her as she is. bubba up the savage. who gives a crap about them. lol

The action makes the gun, not the barrel. A 788 will always be a 788. But its value will not be the same as an unmolested factory rifle. But then again, I like doing weird stuff.

Last edited:
First, how is it shooting? How accurate is it? Is it just as
accurate or more accurate than your other .223's? Did you get
it for future value (ever intend to sell it)?

I was never a .223 fan, so take my answer as biased! Going into
basic training in '70, I was used to busting prairie dogs with
a 788 in .22-250 (have since inherited it). We were the first
at Ft. Lewis to train with the M16, 5.56mm. I couldn't believe
the difference in drop at 300m! That, and the .223 have been
ho-hum to me ever since. There's a large following out there
for the .223, much because of the availability and low cost of
ammo.....but what if .223 ammo was at an even cost with the
non-military ammo??? If everything was equal, how many would
want a .223 over a .22-250, Prac20, Tac20, .204R, etc.???

If it were me, and it doesn't shoot well under MOA, I would
go with a Prac20. Some rifles have feeding issues with the
Tac20. There are loads with either which will rival the .204R.
Brass is cheap.....there's a lot of .223 brass in my reloading
area, but it gets converted to Tac20.
thumbup.gif

Uhmmmm... The action on a 788 is probably the worst part of the gun. Why would you get rid of all the rest of it, and build off the action?
lol.gif

Seriously, there are way better actions to build off of, not to mention parts aren't readily available for the 788 already. I'd leave the 788 alone myself, unless it had issues, and build on a newer, stronger action. It would definitely be different, but I don't know if that would be a good thing in this case.

788s are one of my favorites...but I say build it. Its a friggin 788, the 70s equivalent to a Savage Axis.

As for caliber, why not just Ackley it? Much easier, fun to play with, and make the 223 all the more entertaining.

Like I was saying folks, it was a brain fart. The 788 is 223 and what little I have shot it, it shoots very well. Living up to the 788 tradition as shooters. Stock is nice as well as the metal. I have a 204, a 223AI and an Axis in 223. The 204 is looking like its going to be a very accurate rife with the few handloads I have shot. I'm thinking I'll leave the 788 alone right now and maybe use the Axis if I decide to build the 20 Prac or Tact. Truth is, after the short range trip with the 204 today, I'm wondering why build either. Money saved!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rocky1Uhmmmm... The action on a 788 is probably the worst part of the gun. Why would you get rid of all the rest of it, and build off the action?
lol.gif

Seriously, there are way better actions to build off of, not to mention parts aren't readily available for the 788 already. I'd leave the 788 alone myself, unless it had issues, and build on a newer, stronger action. It would definitely be different, but I don't know if that would be a good thing in this case.

Take no heed of this man's advice concerning 788s. He's obviously biased and has been heavily influenced by the internet. The 788 action is one of the strongest out there and is less influenced by action screw torque than the 700 or clones.

I have a 788 in .223 which appears to have never been fired. I bought it from a widow. She thought that her husband never even sighted in the Bushnell Banner 3x9 BDC scope that is on it. All 80s vintage setup. Any offers? I won't sell it cheap, so don't be insulting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CAFRI have a 788 in .223 which appears to have never been fired. I bought it from a widow. She thought that her husband never even sighted in the Bushnell Banner 3x9 BDC scope that is on it. All 80s vintage setup. Any offers? I won't sell it cheap, so don't be insulting.

LOL! It is what it is. Are you holding out for 6 digit offers?

Originally Posted By: CAFROriginally Posted By: Rocky1Uhmmmm... The action on a 788 is probably the worst part of the gun. Why would you get rid of all the rest of it, and build off the action?
lol.gif

Take no heed of this man's advice concerning 788s. He's obviously biased and has been heavily influenced by the internet. The 788 action is one of the strongest out there and is less influenced by action screw torque than the 700 or clones.

Oh, I know it's a strong action, to an extent, dependent upon caliber, but it's a sloppy action. The one I had, you'd have sworn the bolt was going to fall out of it, every time you pulled it back. Smooth was not even remotely in its vocabulary, crankin a round in the chamber was kinda like shifting gears in a '48 International Truck.

Lets put it this way: I have a 788 in 22-250, and I wouldn't molest or get rid of that rear lugged crowbar for anything!
Kind of like my ugly duckling that shoots!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Originally Posted By: CAFROriginally Posted By: Rocky1Uhmmmm... The action on a 788 is probably the worst part of the gun. Why would you get rid of all the rest of it, and build off the action?
lol.gif

Oh, I know it's a strong action, to an extent, dependent upon caliber, but it's a sloppy action. The one I had, you'd have sworn the bolt was going to fall out of it, every time you pulled it back. Smooth was not even remotely in its vocabulary, crankin a round in the chamber was kinda like shifting gears in a '48 International Truck.

Sloppy action? The only thing that counts for accuracy is a solid lockup, which the 788 has. If the bolt is too sloppy for you when you work it, you might want to buy a Mannlicher. Super smooth bolt and a solid shooter, for about $2000.00, and it still won't perform as well as a 788. Sorry, but your argument is invalid when it comes to accuracy. Haters gotta Hate, eh?

You got the last word on this one old man. You were the biggest 788 fan ever. Your collection of originals and rebuilds were impressive. I got on here after a long break to sell some things and see what chat buddies were around. Saw your last post here and laughed.Figured I would sign off for ya. Your boy is still one of my best friends, and I talk to him weekly. That SOB moved to a lil town south of Tucson, so we don't get to make stands and hunt birds every weekend like we used to, but life is life, and we will always be close. Your Grandsons are strong, respectful young men. I'm sure your proud. Gus is gonna be 6'4" at least, which would tower over your short a$$. Your brother delivered an awesome eulogy, I know you heard and would have changed some things, but hey, it was solid.Other than some minor details, and everyone having to find another Smith, its all the same round here. Anyway, I'll let you get back to doing what you do best-BS'ing. Take care Alan Newberry, RIP........

Back