IHunt by Ruger(A for what it's worth review)

RandyDB

i have tried many different calls over the last forty years of calling. So I feel like I can give an unbiased review on this new call.

Let's start with the app.
600 calls from 47 species most of which you will never use or want to. There are some good calls that do work well.
Programming call lists is easy and just changing sequence, run times,and volume can make the same old sound, sound completely different. You can program any length and variation of calls together.

Now the speaker.
For a cheaper speaker it is very clear and loud enough to use in most weather conditions.
Is easy to carry and has a hanger though not to substantial for hanging on fences, branches, etc. water resistant and easy on off switch.

Blue tooth works but I could only get good quality out to 40 yards when speaker was up off the ground by at least 3 feet. But being able to program call list I used an old iPhone that I had and fixed it to the speaker. I can program the sequences to start after 3-4 minutes giving me time to get a 100 yards away if I want.

The last four times out I have used this setup and have taken five coyotes all circling down wind of the call right to where I was setting. All but one were 70 yards or closer shots. The longest was 130 and that was a double after shooting the first at 70 then kiyiing him to a stop.

I bought the IHunt from Midway USA for 49.95. I have spent far more money on products that have not worked as we'll.

Will be going out again tomorrow and see if I can continue the success with this setup.
image_5.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the IRuger with my home built Harbor Freight "bull horn in a box".

Just got it working and have not been in the field with it yet, but it sounds pretty good.

A lot of the sounds seem to be Western Rivers origin.

You are right about many sounds having no purpose for our pursuits, but they will be fun around Halloween!

Went out yesterday, wasn't the best as the wind started to pick up after the first stand. Spent 30 minute on the first stand with nothing but crows coming in.
Had programmed a different play list with some coyote vocals, jack rabbit, and lip speaks, ending with some hurt pup. Sequence runs approximately 20 minutes with 2-3 minute pauses between each sound. Had 6 sounds loaded.

Second stand is a 40-50 acre pasture with a heavy draw milo stubble on the north and south side that butts up to 160 acre pasture that had had cattle on it till two weeks ago. Wind out of north so I set the call about 70 yards east of the fence line where I sat.

Had just got to the end of the sequence with pup distress playing when I saw him coming from the east in the south milo field along the fence. I let him come till he was almost directly south of the call. Woof him to a stop and the 65 game king did its job.

After starting this call I never had to do anything but keep a eye on the terrain. I like that I don't have to start and stop the call. I have never been big on letting a call run constantly. I think the pauses make coyotes look for what ever is making the sound and when it's not playing they're looking and gives me a better chance to spot them.

image_7.jpeg

Back