Redfield 4-12 for a 7mmRM

It should be fine, they are made by Leupold. I put a Redfield 2-7x on my dad's 7mag and it's held up.

Last edited:
Like was said, they are made by Leupold. I don't have any experience with them, but the 7Mag has a fairly violent recoil. I'd get some experienced opinions before I chose it over a Leupold or Nikon ... which have proven their worth over the years.

Redfield's have been proven hardy and great optics.

However, with that in mind, I would opt for the Leupold VX-1 in the same configuration. They are a bit better in the glass department, to my eyes anyways. And they are build to withstand. $299 for the VX-1 4-12X.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherDo you think that the Redfield 4-12 would be a good scope on a 7mmRM? Can it take the recoil? I would use the rifle for deer in open spaces.
Redfield make three different scopes, at three different prices. Revolution 2-7x33, 3-9x40, and 3-9x50. The Redfield Battlefield 2-7x34, 3-9x42 and 6-18x44-AO. The last is Redfield Revenge 2-7x34, 3-9x42, 3-9x52, 4-12x42, and 6-18x44-AO. I purchased 6-18x44-AO Revenge for varmint rifle, and have shot around 500 rounds thru it. You can pick one up for less than 250.00 including shipping at WalMart and OpticPlanet. I have two VXIII 4-14x40-AO that cost near 600.00 also VXIII 6.5-20x50 tactical that cost over 800.00. The Leopold are VXIII not the new VX3. Now I am very happy so far with my 250.00 scope. I would NOT think twice putting it on 300, or 338 Win Mag. They have the Redfield Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whitedogoneRedfield are close to the uglist scopes ever. Lots of better options at those price points.
It would be nice if you said IN YOUR OPTION

Originally Posted By: Lyn POriginally Posted By: whitedogoneRedfield are close to the uglist scopes ever. Lots of better options at those price points.

Leupold vx2. Burris ff2

Originally Posted By: whitedogone Originally Posted By: Lyn POriginally Posted By: whitedogoneRedfield are close to the uglist scopes ever. Lots of better options at those price points.

Leupold vx2. Burris ff2

I had a typo it should have stated IN YOUR OPINION. I was stating the price of 6-18x44-AO, the 4x12 is less than 200 bucks. What I have seen VX2 and FF2 are double the price. This is my opinion.

First of all, the OP stated "...deer in open spaces" for which, 6x is plenty of top end. So a 3-9 would be perectly fine for his needs. It also happens to be the most widely produced scope in the world, so you get more optical quality for the buck than any other variable scope. Secondly, there is a large step in optical quality in scopes when talking comsumer price point of 150-200 retail range and ones in the 3-400 range. [beeep], right now you can get a 3-9 ziess conquest at europtic for $299 or a metpro at cameraland for $349. Try to compare those to ANY $200 scope. Life's to short to buy and hunt with cheap azz glass.

Back