Custom mauser 22-250

kdm1986

I saw a customized 22-250 in decent shape built on a mauser action today at a pawn shop. It had a thumbhole stock and a a no name carbon fiber barrel. I got them talked down to 450. With the lack of information what would be the appropriate balue of something like this? Thanks

Custom Mauser leaves a lot of room to guestimate. Comercial or converted military, adjustable trigger or two stage millitary? I'm assuming D&T'd. Now 22-250s can be hàrd on barrels so unless you càn get them to let you test fire it you have to think that you are buying the action and stock and if it has a bad barrel you can rebarrel it, if the barrel is good it's a bonus. I'd say that a well done custom stocked Mauser action fully done millitary(bolt handle, trigger, safety, D&T'd) or commercial would be worth $450 just to build on, if the barrel is good it would be a very good deal.

I think builds on a Mauser action are beautifull, I had an originàl comercial Mauser with a Buhmiller barrel in 250-3000, à Herters Presentation grade J-9 in 243 and Mark X Mannlicher stocked 270.

There are three on Accurate Shooter for sale right now. One in 6mm with a beautiful hand made tiger maple stockand a Douglas barrel. He's asking $625. Cheapest is a 8mm for $400. Around here, Oklahoma, the Mauser rifles don't sell very good. I'd love to have the 6mm but figure if I ever wanted to sell it, I would take a loss.

I would take back four brand new 100s if I liked it. I am willing to bet that there is very little interest in a mauser 22/250 in kansas. It may be a great rifle that didnt get used. How many of us have the ideal rifle, the last one that we will ever need, sitting in the safe and seldom gets used.
I have several of those that come out every six months to get wiped with an oiled rag and a wet patch down the bore.

I have shot two custom Mausers in 22/250 in my life. Both of these had old Douglas Blued barrels on them with heavy barrels what were in the range of a max heavy varmint contour. Each rifle had custom triggers on them and custom barrels with the barrels completely bedded in the custom walnut stocks.

Each rifle shot 5/8" or a tad smaller at 200 yards. In the early 50's, these type guns were what were used in Benchrest matches. Groups at 100 yards in the .300 area to .250 were quite common with these type rifles, amazing.

The actions are usually slick as a hounds tooth and due to the weight, they are a joy to shoot.

Rifles can have an immediate appeal when you see them, while others...not so much. Carbon Fiber Barrel.......hummm...

Back