Best shotgun loads for coyote?

well.. I think that given the options you have, the terrain is going to dictate..

I would personally use a #2 steel shot, so no matter where you are you are legal, if you are hunting in Brushy area's. I would get the Carlson Dead Coyote choke (it's more than full choke)

If you have area's that are pasture and more open, then i would opt for the 17. There is more than one 17 out there and some of the newer 17's have amazing balistics (compared to the 22lr)
I would then get one of those larger ones like the A17 that is out, and use that. I would think that it is about as fur friendly as it gets and should still drop a coyote out across a pasture.

Those two options in the truck and a stool, should be a good solution. IMO

Be very careful shooting steel through tight chokes. I would never shoot any steel shot through a lead rated turkey choke. #1 it will eventually ruin your barrel and #2 it will blow the pattern out as steel will not condense to fit through the tight construction but rather blow the pattern to crap.

I would think the smaller #4 shot in a lead turkey load would be far more devastating than steel #2. I shoot 3" steel #2 at ducks and geese here and it has a hard time knocking them down at any kind of distance. On the other hand I shot a coyote while turkey hunting with #5 lead at about 40 yards and he didn't take a step.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI would personally use a #2 steel shot,

There is more than one 17 out there and some of the newer 17's have amazing balistics
I would then get one of those larger ones like the A17 that is out, and use that. I would think that it is about as fur friendly as it gets and should still drop a coyote out across a pasture.

size for size i would NEVER choose steel shot when lead was an option. why would anybody?

as far as the A17 being larger. it is a plain jane 17hmr round. nothing bigger about it.
lol.gif

Only open woods and groves of mountain laurel on state land. Pastures are .270 win territory. Private land woods are #4 buckshot territory. Never gotten one with a shotgun before.

Originally Posted By: AWSIf your limited to #2 birdshot I'd look at some of the 3" HD loads Goose loads.

Dang skippy!!! #2 Lead shot, and the HD shot is unreal on predators!

Last edited:
Think I found a nice load of #2 shot that isn't godawful expensive like hevi shot. Remington nitro magnum 3" #2 lead loads. Just have to order them which I am reluctant to. Might ask the local gun shop to try to get it since here in ct I have to email pictures of my license and carry permit to midway, cabelas, etc.

Originally Posted By: .270everythingThink I found a nice load of #2 shot that isn't godawful expensive like hevi shot. Remington nitro magnum 3" #2 lead loads. Just have to order them which I am reluctant to. Might ask the local gun shop to try to get it since here in ct I have to email pictures of my license and carry permit to midway, cabelas, etc. I use that load on public land. Smokes them dogs at 30 yds and under with a x-full choke, but I have needed 2 shots on those past 30 yds as a rule.

Thanks! Haven't gotten my hands on any yet, but 3" winchester turkey loads with 4 shot gave amazing patten from my pattern master long range choke. 40 yards I have most of my shot in a 14 Inch circle.

Back