22-250 ai redding dies?

vt coy caller

I currently shoot a 22-250 Ai at some local bench rest matches and have been using the standard redding 3 die set. I'm now in aposition to upgrade and am wondering if those of you familiar with redding dies would go with the type s match 3 die set for $225 or cough up the extra $60 for the competition set? The difference between the two is the neck die, the body die and seater I believe are the same.

Assuming both sets have the same competition seater die and the only difference is the neck sizing die, I would not pay that much more to have the competition neck die. Both use type-s bushings, but personally I don't see that much more value in having the micrometer adjustment on the neck die. Having said that, I love the micrometer on the seater die.

Before you switch out, how good are you shooting now? They run out in your loaded ammo is what you are trying to improve along with controlling the amount of tension on your necks for consistent pressures.

These groups were all shot consecutively working up loads with an old set of RCBS std dies, but the necks on the cases were turned. This is a Savage RE chambered barrel, 22/250 AI with a .255 neck.

Concentricity of the loaded ammo is where the money is along with very consistant bullet grip.

I used a bushing neck sizer and a std RCBS bullet seater. Accuracy with this set up has been nothing short of fantastic in 4 different 22/250 AI's over the years.

If you are shooting matches, then everyone should get a simple Run out gauge that is available from RCBS for about $100. You never know what run out a set of dies is producing, and DO NOT assume that bushing dies is getting you less than .002 run out...that would be a mistake.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting fellas. Me, I do agree that if in fact the only difference with the neck die is the micrometer adjustment its not worth the extra $$ but I'm under the impression, and correct me if I'm wrong that the comp die has some sort of improved case alignment system?
Ackman, I also agree that run out is where the $ is,both neck and bullet . I currently use the hornady concentricity gauge for bullet run out and I have an old arrow straightened that I've rigged up to check neck run out and also bullet. I got the hornady gauge because of the ability to correct. Everything that goes to the bench in a match has to have started with less than .001" and Il correct till the needle doesn't move. Anything over gets straightened to within a thou and used for practice fouling, milk jugs or bait pile coyotes. My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are the body die ( the standard fl die will not size the body down enough for easy chambering without pushing the shoulder back too far. And also the bushing die for the ability to customize neck tension and hopefully produce more match worthy rounds and less milk jug blower uppers
laugh.gif

Back