Digital NV (pulsar/photon/Xsight)

TxFF

Anyone have the chance to view both the Sightmark Photon and the ATN X-Sight?

In short, the million dollar question.....about to buy NV. (That will be digital due to cost) so what's recommended?

Seems from all the YouTube videos, in my opinion most look pretty good as long as you invest in a better/good IR Light.

If this is already out there somewhere, sorry I'm new to PM

Thanks for the opinions

I have had the opportunity to use both and I far favor the Sightmark Photon for night hunting. It is simply more responsive to ambient light. I own the first Sightmark as well as the newer Photon. The newer scope is a great deal better than the old one, but the old one is better than the X-Sight.

My X-sight experience is with the 5X model. It is really about 7x. The higher magnification, plus the light gathering weakness make it hard to use at night. A lot of my night shots are below 150 yds. Most are 50yds or so. The field of view of the X-sight is just not wide enough to use effectively at the close range that it can see at night. If you want to use the X-sight in the daytime, it is pretty handy. It has a five times zoom function that will really put you visually close to your target with good clarity. It is a battery hog though. It uses twice as many batteries as the Photon and uses them twice as fast.

I use my Photon XT day and night. I much prefer an optical sight in the daytime, but for those times in the evening and early morning when you just can't quite see with the optical, the Photon comes into it's own. I much prefer the Photon XT over all other scopes I've had the fortune to use. It is lighter weight, sights in easily and gives you ample vision for shots out to 200yds and better at night.

All the digital scopes need extra illumination most of the time. The Photon has a built in IR source. The X-sight comes with an additional add on light. I have added a T-20 to mine and use it when it is really dark for longer distance work. I get by most of the time with the built in light. There are several folks on this list that sell IR lights that will work well with all of them. HTRN is one and they can help you make a good selection if you wish to go that way.

If I were buying a digital scope today, the Photon XT would be my first choice. They are cheaper and as good as the competition. I consider the next most capable scope the Pulsar N750, but it is a good bit more expensive.

Thanks for the info. I hope cabelas starts carrying the photon cause half my money is in gift cards at their store. I also think the view (from YouTube) seems better on the photon xt. And really for battery alone it may be worth it. Nothing like changing batteries when it's 2 am and on a stand.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
If your budget permits, the FLIR RS Thermal scope is the way to go. You'll see more critters with the thermal than you will anything else gen3 included. That's what I plan to get next.

During the time I'm hunting, I carry a couple of extra batteries in my shell catcher on my AR. Never had to use them as I generally don't have my Photon on till I see something in my PS32, so I don't use a set of batteries in a series of night stands. The Photon comes on pretty quickly and it has never cost me a shot doing it that way.

I've been pretty successful with my Photon XT. If you are able to get one, you should get along with it pretty well.

Cabelas carries a lot of products I'm sure SkyPup can send you a catalog as he'll most likely send you one that has the pages ripped out for digital NV.

In the summer of this year I'll probably try for a side by side by side by side review of all digital technology currently available.

It'll probably take many nights of filming to make it come together but anyways it's a goal of mine because not all digital NV scopes are created equal from Pulsar/Sightmark/Armasights/ATN.

For now I would say save your money to see if you can get a 3x X-sight which should solve the FOV issues inside of 70 yards.

The key decision at that point will boil down to resolution/clarity vs IR responsivity and battery usage and technical difficulty in operating the scope - photons are point and click while x-sights are click click update refresh activate initiate and shoot...

BB

FYI: I asked ATN to validate some concerns I had. Just wondering what you thought of the response. The email is below.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM,
Many rumors on X-sight battery life. What is the start up time and battery life?

ATN
Start up is less than 5 seconds.

Battery life is up to 12 hours, with lithium batteries.
Jason Reagon ATN

Originally Posted By: TxFFFYI: I asked ATN to validate some concerns I had. Just wondering what you thought of the response. The email is below.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM,
Many rumors on X-sight battery life. What is the start up time and battery life?

ATN
Start up is less than 5 seconds.

Battery life is up to 12 hours, with lithium batteries.
Jason Reagon ATN

Considering all the quotes to the contrary from users, I consider this a pretty good indicator of the lack of credibility of ATN. A good company to avoid.

What would you use for scanning with a nv scope? Scan with the scope or a nv monocular or lights? I'm kinda thinking about jumping into the digital nv club soon with a photon and just curious on what people are using to scan with.

I must agree about thermal scanning. Night hunting changed big time when I started using the FLIR PS32. PS24 is cheaper and works just about as well. I just happened to get a decent price on a used 32. The red alert feature is truly nice especially in this really cold weather we've been having.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to hunting having only been out twice. By way of intro: I live in Texas although I'm originally from Australia. My rifles are an FN FAL, Winchester 30-30, and two Lee Enfields (a Mk 4 and a Mk 5). I'm a VN vet (Aussie Army of course). I love all my rifles.

I've just purchased a Sightmark 6.5x50S. I must say, it's a different type of scope animal to anything else I've owned. In fact, I'm thinking that if one compares or treats it with the same psyche as an optical scope one could get very frustrated. For me, it's sort of like a TV that has magnification and cross hairs. Mine has exceptional clarity for it's price and what it is. However, my first unit would switch off after every shot (not good). It was replaced without any quibbling within 72 hours by Sightmark. This new unit which now works is exceptional value for the price. One has to learn how to use the removal pin hole in the lens cap as a tool to additionally manage light sensitivity. My other unit is a thermal Pulsar HD38S. This also had to be replaced after two weeks use. It simply refused to switch on. Again, no quibble replacement. Again, this unit is also exceptional. I'm somewhat a believer in that these electronic based units will eventually improve to the point of providing a new generation of exceptional capabilities. In the mean time, I'm going to give them a try out.

Last edited:
Cappy, welcome to the forum and the USA by the way. You didn't mention it, but unless you have already purchased an IR add on light such as an 850nm in a T-20 or 50, then you will need one. The onboard IR light isn't sufficient to take advantage of the distances you will be able to shoot. You probably already have one and if so, I apologize for preaching to the choir. Please keep us informed on your progress hunting with it, and remember we like pictures and videos as well.

I'd be patient and save up money. At the Shot Show this year ATN had a Thermal at just 2k.
But at that price you could also go low end blemished Gen 3.

If you are determined to keep it under 1000.00 then it really is a toss of the coin. Both Photon and ATN have their plus or minus. My biggest concern with ATN is their customer service though. Look that up. Sightmark is located in Dallas and you can actually reach a human being there.

There is a learning curve to night hunting (Ive been night blasting hogs in Texas for 7 years now) particularly with CCCD equipment (Digital). It is literally reimaging what you are looking. I have the Pulsar N550 since it came out and still use it occasionally, there isn't necessarily a delay but depending on lighting and IR lighting you will notice a drag.

Night hunting is a blast (pun intended).

My suggesting is with the market being flooded with thermals I'd wait a few months, save the money and go thermal.

No question at all. Photon is far better that the x-sight. I have both the photon 6.5x50s & the photon 4.6x. I also have the x-sight 3-12; and there is no comparison whatsoever.

Back