How quiet is a suppressed .223 ?

pd1

Thinking about getting set up with a Ruger American Ranch with a 16" threaded barrel and a suppressor . How much noise reduction can I expect ?

I'm not sure what a suppressed 16in. 223 sounds like but I run a TBAC 223P-2 on my 22in. 223Ack. Imp. and it's VERY quiet, maybe about the same as a 22 rimfire rifle.

The new SAS MX EADRom is 134.1. On 14.5" barrel 556. 5.5" suppressor too. OSHA Says under 140 DB's is safe. I know that there is duration exposure, and other factors, but its pretty quiet for a 5.5" suppressor.

Last edited:
The old SAS Sentinal on a 22-250 was 126-127db at the shooters ear. The new MX series is quite a bit better in DB reduction.

Most of your ratings is at the muzzle, (milspec) so its even quieter at the ear.

SAS was just on Dead Dog Walking and had the meter set up showing what the suppressor was at the ear and was basically the same as a clap at the ear.

I don't know much about suppressors, but it seems length has something to do with it's efficiency as well as what's inside ?

Originally Posted By: pd1Do all suppressors have "first round pop" ?

FRP is very prevalent to rimfire cans, especially monocore designs. Some of the better manufactures have baffle designs now that virtually eliminate FRP on rimfires.

In most all quality centerfire cans there is no noticeable FRP to the ear.

Thanks for all the replies. What would be a good suppressor for .22LR,.17WSM(B-mag) and .223 ?

Last edited:
Well I'm far, far from an expert on this matter

But in a nutshell, rimfire rounds are dirty and most rimfire cans can be disassembled for cleaning
Centerfire typically don't come apart for cleaning

Run rimfire rounds through a rimfire can and centerfire rounds through a centerfire can and all will be well

Other with more experience should chime in and expound on this topic

Buster Hindend is correct X100

Rimfire guns are dirty and leave lots of powder and lead fouling inside the tube and on the baffles. Over time it collects and causes issues. If/when you decide to get a rimfire can make absolutely sure you get one that comes apart for cleaning.

Centerfire cans are typically sealed because of the pressure involved for safety and they don't need to be cleaned.

Originally Posted By: pd1Lots of good info here guys. Looks like suppressors are going to be an expensive hobbie.

Those might be the two most correct statements I've ever read on here lol!

I ordered my rimfire can last Feb, and currently have a 308 and 223 can in jail. Waiting for some bureaucrat azzmole to declare me fit to be able to purchase a metal tube and paying him $200 for the privilege makes me want to puke but when it's over the suppressors sure are nice to have.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: pd1Lots of good info here guys. Looks like suppressors are going to be an expensive hobbie.

Those might be the two most correct statements I've ever read on here lol!

"but when it's over the suppressors sure are nice to have."

I'd put your last sentence as the most correct statement, I've, ever read and I think you nailed it perfectly because you made suppressor, plural.
thumbup.gif

These things are like potato chips at bbq on the 4th of July, you can't just have one!!!

Last edited:
I don't even have any yet.....and I'm hooked. Is there some sort of 7 step program I can get into before it's too late ? I already suffer from "If I just had 1 more gun" syndrome.

Back