Mossburg MVP or Ruger American Ranch

ZaneTucker

Looking to buy a new varmint rifle. Narrowed it down to the mossburg mvp predator and the Ruger American ranch rifle. Both 223/ 5.56. I have heard good things on the accuracy of the mossburg and the Ruger is fairly new but I like the synthetic stock and ability to put a good muzzle brake on it. It will be used for woodchucks to coyotes out to 3-400 yards. I prefer a short quick handling gun for riding around in the truck looking for chucks and for fox in thicker cover. Any opinions?

Ruger for sure, its a great ride around truck gun and brush gun (its short and compact for sure). Are you thinking the semi version or bolt? Both shoot well.

Bolt gun. Love my savage 110 in 270 win. but I hate beating it. It shoots amazing out to 450 which is the furthest I have shot it and a have killed tons of critter from fox and chucks to yotes and deer with it. I want something compact and cheaper to shoot for truck carry and calling.

OWNED BOTH......~ now I don't.~ between the 2, Ruger. mine was a shooter n the compact makes for a good beater but just to much plastic fer me and the mag is junk IMO,fer 350 bucks ya get what ya pay for.
Mossberg should stick to what they do well, building shotguns.The MVP is way over valued.
Id take a long look at a TC Venture compact,awsome rifle for the $$$ had one of those in a 243. It was deadly accurate n Ive regretted it since after trading it,best of the bottom end by a longshot. 5r rifling,adjustable trigger, 60deg bolt,fast shooter!guarenteed moa w factory ammo outa the box usually a 75$ rebate ta boot.

Last edited:
Just sighted my Ruger American Ranch 5.56 in on Wednesday. Sighted in the Wife's last weekend. Both are topped with Nikon P-223 3-9x40. I shot hers and decided I wanted one also. A lot cheaper to bang steel out at 300-500 yards with a 5.56 then it is a .308...have a Remington SPS Tactical. Plus I have a lot of 5.56 ammo.

As far as accuracy, both shoot pretty much the same with M193 (55gr FMJ) and M855 (62gr FMJ). About 1.25" at 100yds. Both seem to like the 55gr bullets better. I will eventually get some heavier match and lighter varmint ammo to try out, and I do have some Nosler and Hornady 69gr bullets for handloading. So with your typical bulk milspec ammo they do OK, but would probably do better with good ammo. The Nikon P-223 scopes are nice and the BDC reticles work well out to around 500yds when using the 55gr ammo. I wasn't shooting paper past 100yds, just steel plates out to 500.

The only thing I don't like about them are the cheap feeling plastic mags, which hold 5-6 rounds depending on the mag.

I have the Ruger American ranch in 5.56 and its a great little gun. I also have the p-223 scope, Awesome combo! Shooting the hornady 55gr vmax 3/4" group at 100 yards. Id pick the Ruger myself. I agree with the cheap mag but its just a truck gun that is in and out and in the woods so itll get nicked and dinged but im not worried about it.

Back