6x6.8 brass?s

zr600

Ok im saving up for an 6x6.8 upper and collecting some of the stuff i need as i find stuff. Now how is the federal 6.8 brass? I dont know were to look for the good ssa stuff. Is the federal about the next best to the old ssa stuff? I hope gl shooter or rich sees this and can give a good answer.

FC works well. Ritch and I are getting 5+ loads on the once fired we have bought. The new SSA is just not up to snuff. The Hornady is too soft. I have heard that some guys like the S&B but have not used it.

The Remington seems to last pretty well and is consistent but the large primer is a concern. We shot some comparison stuff and the Remington was a tad faster. Also I have not seen any available in bulk pack for about 18 months.

Greg

I have 9 reloads on my FC/SSA/hornady brass and 13 reloads on my R-P brass with no problems to date. My go to brass is the R-P brass though. I just feel its better than all the rest.
The Hornady brass is softer true, but I have not ruined any yet.
Large primer vs small primer IMO has no effect from my range time/targets/speed overall.

Originally Posted By: 5spdI have 9 reloads on my FC/SSA/hornady brass and 13 reloads on my R-P brass with no problems to date. My go to brass is the R-P brass though. I just feel its better than all the rest.
Large primer vs small primer IMO has no effect from my range time/targets/speed overall.

I have not used any FC brass, but other than that, ditto to what 5spd wrote. My go to brass use to be SSA, until Nosler bought them. Now SSA is just another average, at best, brass vendor. Remington, even with the LR primer pocket, loads and shoots well. I still have a few hundred pieces of the original SSA brass(new in the bag), where I need precision, I use that. For varmint/predator loads, I use new SSA(Nosler), Hornady, or Remington.

When the "old" SSA is gone, unless a better offering comes on the market, I will use Remington 6.8 SPC brass...Unless that goes inconsistent, too.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: 5spdI have 9 reloads on my FC/SSA/hornady brass and 13 reloads on my R-P brass with no problems to date. My go to brass is the R-P brass though. I just feel its better than all the rest.

How long a barrel is on the ar15 in 6x68 that you are talking about? And what has become your goto bullet, if any? And what speeds? Seems like its the best caliber to pack the most out of an ar15 rifle. In bolt action Id go 243 probably though. I'm building a 6mm something. Was going bolt action, but now looking at 6x6.8. Its so much easier to build an accurate ar15 than a bolt gun for me. And cheaper I'm thinking. Seems like a great medium hunting cartridge. Surprised its not way more popular. Not much info out yet I suspect is why. Already looking at a 22" bhw barrel.

Originally Posted By: skinnyminnyOriginally Posted By: 5spdI have 9 reloads on my FC/SSA/hornady brass and 13 reloads on my R-P brass with no problems to date. My go to brass is the R-P brass though. I just feel its better than all the rest.

How long a barrel is on the ar15 in 6x68 that you are talking about? And what has become your goto bullet, if any? And what speeds? Seems like its the best caliber to pack the most out of an ar15 rifle. In bolt action Id go 243 probably though. I'm building a 6mm something. Was going bolt action, but now looking at 6x6.8. Its so much easier to build an accurate ar15 than a bolt gun for me. And cheaper I'm thinking. Seems like a great medium hunting cartridge. Surprised its not way more popular. Not much info out yet I suspect is why. Already looking at a 22" bhw barrel.

Actually it is quite popular. Ritch and BHW sell a ton of them. The biggest downfall is people are afraid to neck a case down. They think it's voodoo. The other big downfall is that there are no bolt actions out there for a 6.8 cartridge.

Te things just shoot lights out across the board and down range performance on warm or paper targets is great. I've shot mine extensively at 500 yard matches and do very well with it. Probably the best balanced 6 MM out there for extra power but not too much with low recoil.

Greg

Back