Replacement stock for savage 16 lightweight hunter

jbfastcat

I just purchased a savage 16 lightweight hunter in .243 for run and gun yote calling. Of course this is the new style with the smooth barrel nut and the bottom bolt release. I was wondering what my options are for a aftermarket replacement synthetic stock. I don't need the fanciest or the strongest, just something that would be stiffer than the factory tupperware stock. It would be nice to get something that is close to a drop in fit also. I know laminate would be a good way to go but I am not interested in wood for this gun. Keeping the weight at a minimum is a must though. I don't mind spending some good money but in the same aspect I don't want to break the bank either.

If anyone is interested you can pick these guns up at gun broker for 479.99 which from my research is a pretty sweet deal. Really looking forward to suggestions.

I'm pretty sure you're stuck with laminate unless you want to pay big bucks for a mcmillan or manners.

It would be nice if Bell and Carlson would get on board with their sporter medalist. They only make that stock for long actions. Probably got sick of savage changing action screw spacing and side bolt vs. bottom bolt release variants.

I could be wrong but I think that's really your only options right now

Not the same but I just bought a Boyds laminate pepper thumbhole stock for a savage axis of my sons and it is a great fit. Barrel is even on both sides. For $96 you can't beat it.

I forgot, stockade makes savage stocks at a reasonable price.

You may be interested in their "hunting sporter"

Looks to be right up your alley.

Not sure on the weight but it may be all there is.

The problem w/a Boyd laminate is your gun will no longer be light,I made that mistake once they add 2.5-3#. Savage stocks suck but your probably hosed....this is the only reason I dont care for savage rifles. Many of us including myself would gladly pay more for their rifles to get a good stock from the factory.The accustock is a step in the right direction but still far from what I would call a quality stock.

Thanks for the replies. That stockade hunting sporter looks like it might be the ticket for what i am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with the stockade stocks. Are they a quality build. I will probably call them and inquire about the weight. Thanks again.

Back