1:14 twist 223

My 24" AR-15 has a 1/14" twist as does my .223 AI Savage. Almost all I shoot in them are 50 grain bullets. Usually a Vmax or Ballistic Tip. But they shoot 40 grain bullets and 55 grain bullets just as well. If I am after something that needs more than a .224 55 grain bullet I go for a larger caliber.

While I really like the 40 grain bullets for critters up to 300 yard or so but on occasion I get a longer (sometimes much longer- like 700 yards) shot so that's why I like the 50 grain bullet. To me and my shooting buddies the 50 grainers are what we like best so that's what I buy the most of and shoot the most of.

I like the 50 gr Nosler/combined tech, Blitzking, Accutip. The 50's and up have a boat tail and 40's don't.
The 45 gr White box are ok but tend to shoot dirty.

Originally Posted By: RustydustIf I am after something that needs more than a .224 55 grain bullet I go for a larger caliber.

That is a conclusion I reached many years ago. Just because you can kill a grizzly bear with a 22LR, by putting the bullet in the right spot, doesn't mean it's an okay choice for a bear gun. Too many people want to load a heavy bullet in the 223 and then try and turn them into something they weren't meant to be. At least that's my opinion.

Sigpros,,,I had a 20" .223, match grade, barrel on an upper that Mike Mili made for me a few years ago in a 1-14 twist...The heaviest bullet weight that I could get it to shoot reliably (accuracy wise) was 55gr..

My initial purpose was to have a backup AR. to supplement my .204 AR, for shooting Prairie Dogs using 40-50gr bullets and that allowed me to push the 40gr close to the velocities of the .204 for a flatter shooting long range rifle...

When I went past the 350 yard distance, the bullet weight became somewhat self defeating as the rounds were more influenced by wind drift than the heavier (39&40gr) and smaller .204 rounds at slightly higher velocities..

I experimented with the 35gr V-Max as well with no noticeable difference between the 35 and 40gr V-Max in either trajectory or accuracy...

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: RustydustIf I am after something that needs more than a .224 55 grain bullet I go for a larger caliber.

That is a conclusion I reached many years ago. Just because you can kill a grizzly bear with a 22LR, by putting the bullet in the right spot, doesn't mean it's an okay choice for a bear gun. Too many people want to load a heavy bullet in the 223 and then try and turn them into something they weren't meant to be. At least that's my opinion.

Yep, you can drive your car with your feet if you want to...but that don't make it a good idea!!!!! 55grains or less in a 14 twist barrel. One thing nobody has mentioned...a given weight bullet always shoots the best and most accurate in the slowest twist that will stabilize it. You wont see benchrest shooters using more twist than needed. More is not better.

Originally Posted By: sigprosWhat grain bullets would a barrel with this twist shoot? 40? Does anyone have one and how do you like it?

50 grain BTs gave the best accuracy w/26.5 grains of Benchmark
5 shots 1/4 @100yds YMMV Each rifle is different.

40s and 55s will work,, just saying

My Vanguard with 1-14 twist shoots 55 grain V Max very accurately . I have never tried a heavier bullet with this twist .It is the most accurate factory rifle I have owned .

Back